FIFTY-TWO

Sesshoumaru have always been the apex predator, so he never needed to look above him. But the Divine Beast Vah Medoh hovered above the whole region of Tabantha, like a bird of prey made of ancient Sheikah technology. It made him uneasy.

Even Twilight has his hackles raised.

When they reached Rito Stable, it was night. Link noticed a Rito standing outside the stable and called out, "Kass!"

The Rito bard looked at him as his musical performance stopped to give Link his full attention and smiled, "My friend! We meet again!" His eyes then found Sesshoumaru and he asked Link, "So...this must be the friend you told me when we last met,"

Link nodded before introducing Sesshoumaru, "This is Sesshoumaru...Sesshoumaru, meet Kass. He helped me find some of the hidden Sheikah Shrines,"

Sesshoumaru studied the bird-person and hummed, "Hn,"

Kass simply laughed off what would have been seen as rudeness, "Why, you certainly make quite the pair! Neither of you seemed much for conversations!" He then looked around, "I belief you said you have a third companion but there's only two of you?"

Link shrugged, "Kagome can't come,"

Kass nodded, "I see..." A sudden hollow screech resounded in the sky and Kass looked up with worry, "We are very close to my hometown. I would visit but alas I have my duties to perform. I miss my family, my wife and daughters but..." He forced his worry away and smiled, "I'm sure they're fine!"

Link's eyes turned steely with determination, "I'm here for Vah Medoh,"

Kass looked at him with surprise, "Truly?" Anyone not deaf can hear the relief in his voice and Kass' smile was brighter as he nods, "As expected of you,"

The two moved out early next morning, Link looking over the numerous hanging bridge that crisscrossed from rock to rock as they traveled over the deep and steep Lake Totori. The guard by the entrance had advised them against falling into the water. Without wings, he doubted that they could fly their way to safety and the cliffs were too steep that they will lose stamina before they can reach the safer top. So, Link admired Sesshoumaru's lack of concern as he walked across the bridge and ignore the sway of the rope bridges that can send anyone a thrill down their spine from how high up they were.

Sesshoumaru was certain that Kagome would be clinging to him like a pup if she was here. Somehow the idea didn't annoy him; rather it gives him a different sort of thrill to have her so close. It was strange, she had literally stuck to him throughout their journey when he was...weaker...sick...but he was never affected. Was it because he had finally realized something about himself?

[Idiot]

Rito Village was gloomy as was every other place that was plagued by the Divine Beast; once protector now turned tormentor. The hollow screech resounded again as they enter the village, making note how the Rito resident tried to go about their day normally but their feathers stuck out in fear and worry as the Vah Medoh's cry echoed overhead.

Two gossiping Ritos on their path mumbled the events that had happened recently and they listened, which revealed that two of their Rito warriors had tried to attack Vah Medoh after some curious Rito were shot down from flying close. Link approached them, "Where can I meet your leader, I have something I wish to speak to him about,"

They were directed to the highest and thus furthest nest on the Rito Pillar where the village was built wrapped around of. Climbing the steps, Link's Sheikah Slate beeped to inform him of a Sheikah Shrine. He decided to head toward it first, having seen the glow from last night and since it was on the way to the Chief's nest anyway. Sesshoumaru decided to wait for him by investigating the clothing store, he has a feeling that it will be wiser to have some warm clothing prepared for Link. He can already hear Kagome's voice nagging him about human or Hylian and their weakness towards temperature.