TWENTY-SEVEN

The group moved into the forest heading to where Link's map indicated to be Lanayru Road - West Gate and up ahead was the Lanayru Promenade. As they walked towards the entrance of the Promenade, Sesshoumaru frowned at the odd scent the man staring at the mountain ahead was emitting. When Kagome was about to greet the stranger, Sesshoumaru grabbed her shoulder and gave a warning look at Link. Something has set his senses off and Link knew that Sesshoumaru have very sharp senses so the group decided to ignore the man.

Yet the man called out to them, "Hello!"

Not wanting to be rude, Link decided to return his greeting while Sesshoumaru hid Kagome behind him while glancing at the stranger from the side. The man then proceeded to what Kagome can only think of as a door to door salesman's pitch, "I can see that you have trained your body well..." He shamelessly stared at Link who mentally squirmed from being eyeballed so closely, "I'd say...you're familiar with both sword and bow, correct? That's a good skill set. Why don't you join the Yiga Clan?"

Before Link could say anything, Kagome had her bow and arrow out and aimed at his head, "I don't think so, you terrorist!"

The man finally saw the small Gerudo dressed girl standing behind the Gerudo dressed man. Cringing at his mistake, he quickly dispelled his disguise and attacked them. Link quickly pulled out his shield and parried the attack. After that the Yiga member started a chant of sort which Sesshoumaru quickly ended by picking a random nearby boulder and tossed it at the Yiga's head, giving the terrorist a concussion. Unfortunately before anyone could apprehend him, he managed to escape with a flurry of papers and a familiar smoke of Malice which Link evaded.

Kagome blinked, "That was both...sudden and short..." She looked at nonplussed Sesshoumaru.

He glared at the spot where the terrorist once stood, "This one refuse to lengthen a fight with dishonorable fighters with the likes of him. Any prolonged contact with them opens a chance to poison," He looked at Link, "Its best we stay to ourselves on the road. It seemed that these Yiga are aiming to get in the way of your duty,"

Link frowned and looked at Kagome, "What are the Yiga?"

Kagome sighed, "I think it's better to ask Impa about that. I only heard bits and pieces when I was training under the Gerudo. But one thing for sure, Link, they are not our friends...thus me attacking him," She then looked at Sesshoumaru, "What makes think that disguised Yiga suspicious in the first place? Even I only notice how oddly happy he was..."

"I recalled you spoke of their obsession of a certain fruit. He reeked of that as well as miasma," He growled, "A combination of both seemed to be marking their scent,"

Link nodded, "Alright. Keep to ourselves on the road, no getting close to suspiciously happy people waiting on the side of the road, keep an eye on Sesshoumaru's reaction to scents..." He started listing items to keep his mind on, missing the frown on Sesshoumaru's face. Kagome stared at her tall companion, "What?"

"As long as they do not figure out that their scent gives them away, it will be easy to notice their ambush...however..." He looked at her, "If they figured out to hide their scent as well..."

Kagome nodded, "The Gerudo have been reminding us to be wary of travelers because the Yiga have been known to disguise themselves on the road. But they seldom appear openly in public places and villages. They also apparently never use a horse or pull a donkey while on the road and are usually alone. They liked ambushing people so people that stand on the side of the road looking around are more suspicious than people that are actually using the road..." She listed what she recalled of the Yiga spotting class she attended.

Link nodded, "Got it," He then looked ahead, "Bokoblins ahead,"

With that the conversation regarding the Yiga ambush was put aside to concentrate on getting through the Lanayru Promenade. It took the rest of the day to get to the East Gate, which they finally saw being blocked by a tall black Moblin that Kagome immediately informed her company to be stronger than the red types that Link had faced before. After Sesshoumaru managed to push the monster off the road and into the deep water below, they finally relaxed as Link approached the gate. Kagome and Sesshoumaru decided to let him recall privately and stepped away from him as he pulled out the Sheikah Slate.

Kagome was eyeing a chest on fallen debris down near the river, wondering what was in it, when she heard Sesshoumaru calling her. She looked up to see him staring at Link. Realizing that something was off with her friend, she approached him, "Link?"

His face was pale, his eyes tightly closed, teeth bared in a grimace, sweat trickled down his temple and his clothes plastered on his body drenched with sweat as he began to shake like autumn leaves. When he staggered, Kagome grabbed him and called out, "Link! Are you okay? Link!"

It was only after she slapped him out of desperation that he broke out of whatever it was that he was experiencing. Tears welled up in his blue eyes as he stared at the faces of his two friends and he choked, "It was her birthday....Calamity Ganon...they were all..." Before he could finish his thoughts, the shock of regaining his memory overwhelmed him and Link lost his consciousness, thick blood trickled from his nose and only his pants. Kagome gasped, "Link..."

Sesshoumaru frowned, "His injuries...he may have suffered a bad blow to the head, making regaining his memories painful..." He pushed Link's head down to check his neck, taking note of the faint scars hidden by his hear. Kagome shook with emotion as she held him close and sobbed, "Is it wise to make him remember?"

Sesshoumaru could only give her the truth, "That will depend on Link,"

Kagome gulped through the thickness in her throat as she nodded, knowing that it was Link's right to decide. Sesshoumaru then picked the unconscious warrior and started walking, "Let's return to Kakariko before night falls,"

The walk back was silent and Kagome could only wonder just what it was that Link remembered. It seemed to have something to do with the Calamity Ganon and the Princess's birthday. As for the rest that he managed to mention before losing it, she can only wait for Link to wake up and clarify.

Link woke up tucked in bed in the depth of the night to see the familiar ceiling of the Shuteye Inn. It seemed that his friends had carried him back to Kakariko. He turned to see Kagome sleeping and Sesshoumaru meditating as usual. He smiled, thanking in his heart that he's been introduced to the two once more to the Goddess.

He then turned his attention back to the dull ceiling. His mind returned to the dream that he just had. It had clarified further what he had recalled at the East Gate of Lanayru Road. It was the Princess's birthday, she had decided to forgo any well-wishing and headed for the Spring of Wisdom. He didn't really recall why she insisted on going to the spring at the top of Mount Lanayru on that particular day. But she failed to access her sealing power. They had come back down with heavy heart, hers heavier than his, he was sure of this and so he had kept his eyes on her with concern.

Then they were greeted by four people waiting at the East Gate; a tall Gerudo, a wide Goron, a petite Zora and an angular Rito. He can't really recall their names or their faces very well. His head still hurt from recalling and he can taste a tinge of iron in his mouth. It seemed his nose had bled once again. He recalled that the four were trying to cheer the gloomy Princess when their whole world began to shake. He was worried, even more so when the Rito that flew so high returned to the ground and informed them that castle has been sieged by Calamity Ganon. Then she insisted to fight, disregarding the importance of her safety. He wanted to disapprove as well as the others, but one look in her emerald gaze burning with unquenchable will and he knew there was no stopping her.

He should have stopped her...

Sesshoumaru listened to the quiet sobbing of Link in his bed. When he had seen the scars, had heard the request, had witnessed the expectation...he knew that the road ahead won't be easy. Link will be broken over and over by what he recalled and what he will face; it will forge his will and fully awaken the warrior within him. But what was left after that?

Sesshoumaru had been there, had seen what it had done to his Sire and the effect it had on his Mother. It took years for him to come to term that the man he grew up with will never be the same. Instead of a father, he was raised by a general. Instead of a father's firm guide, he was forged by a soldier. In the end, all that was left of the once close family were nothing more than a Lady, a General and a Prince. The title of endearments were nothing more than empty words of etiquette expected of them.

The insult that he will never forgive Inuyasha and his mother for...was that his Father returned for them, leaving the family he grew with in the ashes of war...

Ultimately, even he Sesshoumaru was expected to be as his Father once was; a General. None of the child White Prince of the Middle Continent will remain, only the shadow of the General. Even now, the ghost of his Sire's aptitudes still haunted him...