FIFTY-SIX

Kagome handed Pirou 55 Rushrooms as promised when she first set out from Gerudo Desert. The cranky old man handed her a diamond in exchange. Sesshoumaru stood by in silent at the transaction while Link sat by the cooking pot preparing some potions. He had been warned about the heat of the day and cold of the night at the desert. Sure his Snowquill set could help for the night but Kagome told him that she doubt that his Flamebreaker set would help with the heat of the day. After all, Gerudo Desert is hot but not burning.

He still doesn't get it but Kagome had vehemently told him that there's a stark difference between being burned by heat and being cooked by flame. Sesshoumaru on his part simply don on his Gerudo Voe Set and was done. Kagome told Link that the materials to make his set were not enough after she had to redo Sesshoumaru's and she needed to visit her old employer to buy the missing Gerudo made fabric.

On the day of their entry of the desert, Link immediately feel the heat of the sand and immediately knew that putting on the Flamebreaker set will only made the heat worse. If anything, he will be thoroughly steamed by his own sweat by the time they reached the bazaar. Luckily, the chilly elixir help stave off the worse of the heat but he still sweat buckets. Fortunately, Kagome found two Hydromelon growing near the entrance and had cut open one to distribute between the four of them. Twilight gratefully lapped at his while Link savored the cooling and hydrating juice of the melon.

By noon, they reached the famous Kara Kara Bazaar and Link gratefully took off his sweltering hot boots to sink his feet into the cooling water of the bazaar's oasis. Kagome immediately disappeared on a hunt for someone whom she said was her employer's most favored customer while Sesshoumaru stood by Link and burned out Twilight. The poor wolf's fur does little help in the heat so Link cupped some water and drizzle it over the heated up canine.

This seemed to recharge the wolf a little as he climb back up on his paws and lapped at the clear water of the oasis, drinking his fill. A mechanical howl filled the air and Link looked at its origin. Sesshoumaru scowled at his old nemesis, "Divine Beast Vah Naboris, shielded by sandstorm and protected by precise artificially generated lightning. With your speed hindered by the sand, running for cover when the lightning strikes is not an option. From what I can recall, it seemed that its mechanical hooves adsorbed the energy from the earth to move and damaging them might be the only way to stop it long enough for you to climb in,"

Link listened to Sesshoumaru, understanding what he was getting it, "I have to chase the Divine Beast but also not get hit by the lightning,"

Sesshoumaru nodded, "We need to find something that will shield you from its attack and provide speed so that you may chase it,"

Link doubted shock elixirs would be enough to render the lightning strikes null, they were barely enough against Electric Keese and Electric Lizalfos. So far in his journey, the answer to the local elements lies within the city, like with the Flamebreaker Armor and Snowquill Tunic.

But from the grumbling traveller at The Great Ton Pu Inn, it seemed that no men are allowed within the city walls. This brings to mind a simple question; how does he get in touch with the current Gerudo Chief?

Luckily for him, Kagome has the answer. However, when she returned to them, her face was twisted with worry and discontent, which made both males uncomfortable; Link, because he was used to her happier expression. Sesshoumaru, because a frowning Kagome meant something not to his liking was up.

Kagome sat beside them and started on her concern, "The Yiga stole from the Gerudo Chief. Security has been tighter and...I don't think you can go into the city right now, Link," She looked at him, "A year ago, when we first came to this world, I had to smuggle an unconscious Sesshoumaru. Somehow, news that a man has been snuck into the male-restricted Gerudo town reached the Yiga and they used a similar method to sneak their minions in..."

She sighed, "The chaos ensued almost killed Chief Riju whose now constantly under guard by her best swordswoman, Captain of the Guards Buliara," She rubbed her nose bridge, "However, the Thunder Helm have been stolen and now the Gerudo have even less trust in outsiders," She look at the direction she came in, "Vilia, one of Saula's loyal customer, informed she can no longer enter the Town because now they will physically check you for your gender so my initial idea to sneak you in dressed in traditional Gerudo Vai set had to be thrown away,"

Link frowned. If he's disguised as a female, he might be able to go in...although he has a feeling that he had gone into Gerudo Town disguised before...but from Kagome's informant, going in now will be harder due to the stricter security. The only one of their group that can even successfully go in would be Kagome but how does he...?

He blinked and took off the Master Sword as well as the Sheikah Slate, offering both to the only female of the group, much to Kagome surprise. She poked at the sword, "Link?"

He sighed, "I'll wait here. I really don't want to set off the already frail situation with the Gerudo. We can't afford to make mistakes now, especially since Vah Naboris is the only one left. So I'll entrust both the Master Sword and Sheikah Slate to help convince your alliance to the current Gerudo Chief that we are who we say we are. Hopefully she will agree at the sight of both to either accept our aid or allow me entry even under disguise,"

Kagome looked at the two items, both holy and significant to this world's culture and belief, and feel her palm soaking with sweats as she accepted them. She could feel the spirit within the Master Sword hum lightly against her, as though acknowledging her as Link's extension in this political meeting. But Kagome knew that she will not be able to wield the Master Sword, she does not have that right, but even just carrying the Master Sword, Kagome felt both honored and humbled by the weight of the meaning behind the action itself.

She feels the divine energy beating like a living heart coming from the holy sword. It is alive and sentient, and despite being under the Gerudo sun was cool to the touch but at the same time warm like touching another living body. Not scalding hot or freezing cold, simply...living warm. Kagome knew then that this weapon was unlike any others and why it took a special soul like Link to wield it.

It's no mere instrument, but a companion. Through the ages, it waits for the same soul to return over and over and over again. Kagome can feel it judging her, testing her mettle and decided that she's...alright, Kagome supposed. Not worthy but...alright...

Kagome feel that the Master Sword is okay in her book too...

They're not exactly friends, and Kagome doubt that she will ever be a friend to the Master Sword like Link is, but it was like meeting a friend of a friend. You know them, they're okay in your book, but that was it. You don't share your deepest, darkest secret with them and neither do they do much more than required of them to keep peace between you and your mutual friend.

What an odd way to feel about what would amount to any outsiders looking as just another sword. Sure it was fancier looking, though not as fancy as the Royal Broadswords, but just another sword nonetheless.

Kagome feel like a whole new world had just opened its doors to her...which she promptly closed shut and locked tighter than any fancy vaults. No need to go there, she had enough of an idea from how Sesshoumaru talk, when he deigned to, about his father's sword smith's Totosai. Sure, swords the like of those that Sesshoumaru's Sire wield might be sentient, which she find odd and not at the same time since they were made out of his fangs if what Sesshoumaru told her was the truth, but that does not mean she wanted to start acting like Totosai when meeting another meticulously created items of mass destruction.

Apparently the youkai have developed several new senses for swords and other weapons, especially one with unique quality, and claimed that he can feel their call. Sesshoumaru do not wish to even think if Totosai can cross worlds for swords like the Double Helix Sword and the Master Sword.

All in all, she and the Master Sword were just saying "Hi," to each other...

Strapping the sword to her back and the Sheikah Slate to her hip, she asked Link if there's anything else and he told her about Sesshoumaru's idea on capturing the Divine Beast Vah Naboris. She hummed before saying that she will think of something. She then turn to Sesshoumaru, "I'll try to come back with good news. In the meantime, both of you please stay out of trouble,"

""No promises,""

Sighing, she knew that with their luck, it was the best she can expect from them.