TWENTY-SIX

"Meet Pikango!" The next day Kagome introduced them to the bewildered painter who was finishing his painting of Impa's House by the Lantern Falls. The elderly painter with yakuza-like tattoos on his arm grinned, "Why, if it isn't Kagome! Are you finally going to let me paint you or your friend there?"

When Pikango first saw Kagome and her companion on the first day they arrived, he thought that the two strangers would make a find picture. One dark but warm, the other pale and cold. The blonde Hylian with his faded scars that he barely noticed would also made a find subject for painting. However Kagome kept refusing his offer to paint either her or her friends and Pikango had playfully pouted at the lovely girl's rejection.

Kagome snorted as she playfully turned her nose, "Nope!" She then grinned, "But I certainly would like to ask for a different service from you, oh great painter of Hyrule,"

Pikango chuckled, "Oh, but I won't do anything for free...however I am not interested in money..." He contemplated before asking, "Have you ever heard of the Great Fairy Fountain? I have been asking around but the Sheikah are not very welcoming to outsiders and with me asking about their guardian spirit only makes me more suspicious to them,"

Kagome nodded, "So you want us to look for the Great Fairy Fountain?"

Pikango shook his head, "I have inkling where the fountain is, come with me!" He then ran off in a direction. Kagome shared a look with Link since Sesshoumaru decided to take a short break from the crash his body almost suffered before the two chased after the excited painter. When they ran past the shrine that Link had activated and caused Sesshoumaru to scold for making Kagome disappear from his immediate senses, Pikango stopped and bent over with heavy breathing. Kagome looked at him as he wheezed, "I'm not...as strong as I...used to be...I heard...that there's a possibility...that the...Fairy Fountain is...behind this hill here...can you please...paint a picture of...it for...me?" He collapsed onto the grass as he sat for air.

Kagome giggled and nodded, "Sure, we'll do one better," She shared a look with Link who immediately understood that she want him to use his Sheikah Slate's camera function. He nodded and the two entered the forest. However, they didn't see any fountain and Kagome wondered why Pikango believed the fountain to be there. Link then stepped onto the giant leaf of the odd cactus and Kagome warned him, "Careful, Link. We don't know what that is. It could be a giant Octorok for all we know..."

[How could you! I am not monster!]

Kagome and Link jumped before the disembodied voice continued, [Travelers...oh kind travelers...would you please listen to my tale?] The two shared a look as Kagome climbed to stand next to Link before the latter nodded, "Sure,"

[I am the Great Fairy Cotera...This place was once a beautiful spring...but as time passed, fewer and fewer travelers arrived to offer me rupees. As a result, my power abandoned me. I'm nearly powerless now, so I beg your help. I need rupees to become whole again. All I need is a hundred rupees...]

Kagome frowned in suspicion, "Why do you need rupees to use your power?"

[Rupees are no ordinary gems. It have many properties, one which include empowering us Great Fairies...once my power is restored, I can help you do great things! Now, if you have rupees, hand them over to me....quickly!]

Kagome wrapped her arms under her chest, "You know...Cotera...you sound really like a bandit asking for rupees like that,"

[Please! I am desperate! It has been years since I last breathe the fresh air! The water of the fountain is also becoming stagnant! I just want out!] Cotera cried in her pod. Link looked at Kagome who sighed, "Fine, it's just a hundred anyway..." She dug into her pocket and handed a fifty to Link who dug out another fifty wordlessly. He then handed the rupees to the pod, "Here you go,"