NINE

Sesshoumaru woke up with a familiar hangover pain. Ignoring his throbbing head, he raised his torso as he searched his surroundings. It didn't take him long to find the girl huddling against a rock nearby. His senses may have dulled but even he can smell the heavy scent of iron permeating the air and the taste of divine power sparking across his taste buds.

He walked toward her and she tensed. When he stopped a few steps away from her trembling body, she raised familiar haunted eyes toward him. He asked, "Can you walk?"

She bit her lip, her wide blue eyes darting to his lips where his elongated fang peeked out slightly against his lower lip. Her trembling body shake even stronger but with a deep breath, she raised her body from the ground with slow and painful movement, "In...j-just a...m-m-moment-t..."

Her stuttering does not gain any sort of sympathy from him. She knows what it means to travel with him. They are two people slammed together into a disadvantageous situation. Neither are comrade to the other, far from it they were trying to kill each other. He will not ask her what had happened when he had lost his reasoning. He knew it somehow involved him attacking her, taking from her like a mindless beast.

It seemed, however, that he will need to explain to her certain things. Sesshoumaru is not so proud as to hinder their travel with no explanation. She is not his retainer. In this situation their standing has become somewhat equal.

...and equals communicate or explain things to each other...

As she plastered on a fake smile, she went into the inn to gather their almost forgotten belonging while Sesshoumaru waited outside the bazaar. Breakfast consisted of some dried meat, a traveler's staple. Kagome had learned that food in Hyrule has some special, magical property that is especially useful for travelers. This had proven true that it somehow helped in Sesshoumaru's health progress.

As they climbed past the Gerudo Desert Gateway, Kagome quietly followed behind Sesshoumaru who has more experience in reading a map. But despite her company, she found herself alone with her mind. Memories supplied to her vision of Sesshoumaru werewolf-like form lunging for her neck...

...the pain of being bitten hard, worse than the first time flashed before her eyes...

She didn't realized when she was pulled away but she did notice the body pressed against her as a boulder rolled over to the side across from her. She looked up to see Sesshoumaru frowning at her and for a moment the human-like face before her changed into the hybrid from the night before and Kagome was seized with fear, "NO!"

Sesshoumaru let her shoved him but he barely moved despite the strength behind the shove. It was only by his sudden surprise of her rejection of his protection that allowed his balance to stumble back enough for her to slip away from him. He looked at her as she kneels on the ground, breathing hard while her frame shook with remembered terror.

It took a full five minutes before Kagome managed to collect her senses together and look at him with quiet apology, "Sorry,"

He turned away as he continue along the path through the canyon, "Hn,"

She obediently followed behind him, quiet as a mouse and a stark difference from Jaken's mumbling and pointless praising of his magnificence. He tried to ignore the itch he gained from her fear of him and her rejection of his protection. As a born and bred Alpha, he was instinctive in protecting those beneath, whether they be pack or otherwise. Fearing him he can understand that, it comes with the position of being on the top of the food pyramid. But rejecting his protection does not sit very well with him.

It was late evening by the time they reach the first stable that have been marked on the map they received. It was then that Sesshoumaru addressed her as they sat for lunch, "Girl,"