An Intriguing Young Lady

Start from the beginning

“He’ll be back soon,” Seamus said from down the table.  “No doubt about it.  Nearly Headless Nick told me so.”

Hermione said next her, “Umbridge is a right foul beast.  That crazy, power-hungry, old—”

            “Are you sure you want to finish that sentence, Granger?” A voice said from behind her.  Luna, Hermione, and the others turned to find Draco and his posse lurking behind them.  That irritating smirk was playing on Draco’s lips.  “I’m afraid we’ll have to take away some points for that.”

            “You can’t do that!  We’re prefects too,” Hermione retorted, folding her arms across her chest.

            “But members of the Inquisitorial Squad can, Granger,” Malfoy said, smiling maliciously.  “And while I’m at it, five points for that comment about our headmistress…Five from you Weasley, your shirt’s untucked…Neville, you were talking with your mouth full, five from you… Loony, five from you because you’re a freak…Five because I don’t like you, Potter…Oh, and I almost forgot you were a Mudblood Granger, so fifteen for that….”

            In a fast motion, Ron’s wand was out and pointing at Malfoy’s nose, a spell on the tip of his tongue, but Hermione grabbed his arm, whispering, “Don’t, Ron.”  Draco’s face was paler than before but he managed to breathe, “Wise move.  Be good now, Weasel King…Potty…”  Then the trio walked away, sniggering.

            Throughout this, Luna’s face had gotten redder and redder, like she was about to burst.  Into tears or a rage of fury, she didn’t know.  She didn’t want the few friends she’d made to see either one, so she quickly got up from her untouched breakfast and began walking quickly out of the Great Hall.

            Then it was all upon her.  People thought she was a freak, no matter how hard she tried not to be.  She was a freak.  Would her mum have thought she was a freak…?  In that moment, Luna missed her mum more than anything in the world.  She’d gladly hand over her wand in order to have her mum back with her.  Luna would give up everything she had just for one more moment with her… 

Now Luna was sobbing and she couldn’t walk any farther, so she just sagged against the corridor wall and sank down.  She watched through teary eyes as people walked by, staring at her.  But no one stopped to see what was wrong.  Not a surprise.  Luna lowered her head into her hands, not wanting to see them anymore.

Then a hand touched her shoulder lightly, and she looked up to see the brown eyes of the one and only: Neville Longbottom.  “Hey, Neville,” she sniffled.

“Hey Luna,” he smiled.  “I saw you run out of the Hall…what’s wrong?  If it’s stupid old Draco, I’ll happily go sock him in the—”

“No, no it’s not him,” she said, wiping the tears from her face that were just replaced by new ones.  She probably looked like a mess.

“Then what is it?” he whispered tenderly, his round face sympathetic.

Another sob wracked her body as she croaked out the words, “I miss my mum.”  Then, Neville wrapped his arms around her and he held her, letting her cry into him. 

“Oh, Loon, it’s alright,” he whispered into her hair.  A few minutes passed, and Luna’s cries were reduced to deep breaths.  Then, she leaned back and tried to wipe the tears from her eyes only to find they’d dried in long tracks down her cheeks.

“I’m sorry, Neville.”

“You’ve got nothing to be sorry about, Luna.  You’ve had it rough,” he said sweetly.  He stood up, and reached his hand down to her which she gladly accepted, and he pulled her up to her feet.  “We best be getting to class now, I guess.  See you at lunch!”

She smiled, slung her bag over her shoulder and waved, “Bye, Neville.  Thanks for everything.”