Chapter 44 - The Heart's Wish

I spent the night on the inflatable mattress, listening to Jimin's breathing. I would occasionally sit up and check to see if he was stirring from a nightmare, but he barely moved at all. He stayed lying on his side, his nose slightly buried into the pillow. He didn't know that I'd added some more vanilla onto it in hopes it'd help him sleep. It seemed to do the trick well enough. He had a heat pad wrapped around his arm to help blood flow and healing. It was tucked close to his body as if he wanted it for extra warmth. I wasn't cold, but I did want to be on the bed with him. It had become such a strong part of my nightly routine that I couldn't sleep without him near.

Jin has to be right. As much as I hate it, he has to be right. Nervousness doesn't come easily for me, and it's never been so intense. A silver tongue has become a core part of me, but it's become so twisted. Every time I get close to him, it's never close enough. Seeing him in pain is worse than being tortured. Him being in danger is more terrifying than losing my own life.

I get up and sit on the edge of the bed. Part of me wants to reach over and touch him, to remind myself that he is still alive. The other part wants to let him sleep without interruptions. I sigh softly before scratching the base of my head. My body already felt more tired just from moving closer. I let my eyes slide to the wall in front of me, the darkness making it blank as a canvas.

Jimin rustles the blanket as he lies on his other side.

My fingers tingle as I resist the urge to move and run them through his hair.

Fingertips pull on the back of my shirt. "(Y/N)...?"

I turn to look at him. His arm is outstretched and still lightly gripping my shirt. His hair is sticking up on the side he'd been on. The blanket had fallen down a little, his upper torso in the open air.

"Did I wake you?" I ask, my voice soft. I remove his grip from my shirt, letting him hold my hand instead.

He shakes his head. "It's hard to sleep when you're so far away."

He sounded so silky saying those words, and surprisingly clear. He didn't sound very tired despite having fallen asleep.

I scoot closer to him, still holding his hand. "I didn't want to accidentally make your injuries worse."

He looks at his supporting arm, the heat pad still warm. "You won't." He tugs a little. "Come closer."

My heart started to pound.

"How close?"

He tugs again. "Closer."

I move closer, the distance getting narrower. He keeps a solid hold on my hand as the space closes. He lets go to guide my shoulder down, so I lie in front of him. Our bodies are mere inches from touching. I can feel his breath warming my face, and I have no doubt that he can feel mine doing the same.

"You get some sleep too," he says quietly. "I'll sleep better if you do."

I could feel the flush across my face. My heart was pounding so hard that I could hear it. I was able to make out details on his face because of the closeness, and I traced everything. I memorized each line, each mark, where his eyelashes lay, the curve of his lips, the shape of his eyes, everything. I wanted to feel it, to touch his beautiful features and really know them.

That's why, when his breathing evened out, I leaned in and kissed his forehead.

~~~~~

When I woke up, I was facing away from Jimin. It didn't matter, though, I'd fallen into a deep sleep after getting onto the bed.

The only issue is that he's now completely pressed against me.