Chapter 25 - Late Night, Simple Talk

A few days passed with little progress. Yoongi and Hoseok were working really hard to pin down one of the guys, but they couldn't seem to find the right time. I'd see Yoongi come back every day with his shoulders sagging and his face looking drawn. Hoseok would clearly be down himself, but he still acted like Yoongi's recharge. I always said what I could and offered help on how to get someone alone, which they took into account and continued along the next day. It was heartbreaking to hear Yoongi's exhausted footsteps come down the stairs heavy. Even Hoseok's got heavier as more days passed. I felt utterly useless, and I was. All the skills that had gotten me to this point did nothing.

Everyone else was just as frustrated. Jungkook offered switching with Yoongi, but the older shook his head. He said he was better at blending in and left the youngest with that. Jimin spent a lot of time in the room, sitting against the wall with his eyes closed. Namjoon pretty much drowned himself in work to figure out more about Chae's operations and underground businesses. Taehyung would give subtle but clear support by hugging both Hoseok and Yoongi, but it was clear that he felt useless beyond that. Jin had become backed up with suit orders and spent most of his time in the shop, but he'd have more bandaids on his hands every day from distracted stitching.

I didn't know what to do with myself. My advice soon ran out as to what to do. I was sitting in the suit shop one night, just looking at the black expanse of the sky. I was trying to pick out stars, but there was just too much light pollution. It was getting colder outside, steam rising from various heaters. I took in the little street, lights lining it from end to end and the occasional person walking by. I sighed deeply before standing up. I pull a small mask over my mouth before heading out for no reason. The cool breeze made my skin just barely cold. I could feel it gliding through my hair. I started walking down the street, becoming one of those people I'd been watching. I pass a small alleyway and stop, simply staring down it. I wondered if I'd ever committed a crime there. I watched beady little eyes look at me before disappearing. I wondered if people ever saw that from me. A small child, cold in the winter, staring at them from the dark. I let out a light chuckle. I must've scared the shit out of some people.

I continue walking, letting my feet simply take me somewhere. There was no particular plan or place, I just wanted to remember the feeling of oncoming winter. I heard quiet but familiar footsteps behind me at some point, delicate like a cat's. I smiled lightly to myself as I continued going. I ended up across the street from my old apartment building and just kept walking. I passed by the construction project from the whorehouse that was demolished. I stopped at a stoplight a few blocks from the restaurant before finally looking back. His eyes had a soft glow to them as he looked up at me.

"You gonna walk next to me or just be a creep behind me?"

"Depends," Jimin replies from where he stood. "Should I beware for my balls?"

I shake my head dismissively. I look up ahead where the still black pile of our once livelihood had been. Then I start walking again, his steps falling in line with mine.

"Following me to make sure I'm not a spy?"

"Nah. I think I got the memo when you didn't kill me with that knife."

"Which one?"

"Whorehouse."

I nod. My breath lightly fogged as it came out from the mask. His did the same.

"Why're you out here, then?"

He shrugs. "No particular reason. I've just had nothing to do while the hyungs tail those guys. Since we don't have a sparring room or a gun range, I've just been thinking. Haven't been outside much." He looks at me. "What about you?"