Chapter 29 - All Eight

Everyone looked at me after we gathered in the kitchen, so I told them my story first. I explained how there weren't any complications, which was very lucky. Infiltration missions almost always had something go wrong. None of them seemed particularly surprised I got out without a scratch, but Jimin did make a snarky comment about me being covered in sewer water. The same kind of thing, "You smelled just like you look". Usually, I would've bit back; after what he did last night, I bit my tongue. I couldn't seem to make the same remarks I had the urge to. That made everyone look confused, so I changed the topic.

I look to Yoongi. "Why were you and Jungkook covered in blood?"

The emotions slipped from his face. His face turned as blank as a canvas, and just as white. His eyes were the only color on his face, but they held no light. They looked deep and regretful. How did that happen in one moment?

"We lost someone." He looked like he was going to continue, but it looked like his words were dying in his throat.

Jungkook places a hand on Yoongi's shoulder. "I got it."

Yoongi sits down, putting his face into his hands. His mint hair hid his face the rest of the way.

"Mr. Wong pushed Yoongi-hyung out of the way of an oncoming bullet. We'd let our guard down because things were going well, but..." Jungkook scowls. "They were waiting for it. We barely protected his wife and child after that too. It just went so far downhill from there that we panicked. Hyung ran after the men who were shooting while I took the family away. We barely even made it to the train."

It never would've occurred to me, not in a million years, that we'd lose a battle. We're invincible, aren't we? We'd survived so much, from taking down buildings to hacking into systems. We hadn't been shot by the hundreds of men we'd gone up against.

We were supposed to be bulletproof.

But hearing Jungkook sum up their experience... It made my heart sink. It reminded me that we weren't invincible. We're not bulletproof. We're just human. We're fragile containers of dreams, and we could fade just as fast.

"Did the family get out safely?" Namjoon asks, but his words were slow. It seemed similar thoughts to mine were going through his head. "The mother and child."

Jungkook nods. "But Yoongi-hyung is..." He looks at the mint-hair. "He's upset because he feels it's his fault."

"If I hadn't been standing there..." he mutters.

"You couldn't have done anything, hyung," Hoseok cuts in. "Hearing it from Jungkook tells me that."

Taehyung nods. "I agree with Hoseok-hyung. We had similar issues and almost died. We just got lucky. They barely missed Jimin. I did notice something weird though..." He wrings his hands together. "They didn't really aim for me. Jimin agreed to draw their fire, but it's not like him and I were the primary targets. The family wasn't even shot that much."

Yoongi's head pulls up, even though his eyes still look tired. "You're right. They didn't even run after the family after Jungkook and then ran, they stayed while I hunted them."

My heart started pounding upon hearing Taehyung's and Yoongi's words.

They knew.

"Fuck," I mutter.

Namjoon looks over. "What is it?"

"The families weren't the targets once they were taken. They'd be too scared to go to the authorities anyway, so they're not threats." I ruffle my hair. "We were. They wanted to kill at least one of us because we're serious threats."