Chapter 64 - Final Ink

If I had been asked a few years ago how I thought I'd escape this life, I wouldn't have said this. I wouldn't have said I'd have someone by my side or a family standing behind me. I probably would've answered that I'd be alone, somewhere in South America. That was once my dream. That was once the vision I'd fall asleep to, the vision I'd kill for. I can still see it, if I concentrate. The cold ocean water sliding over my feet as the sun beats down from above; the children laughing in the background as their parents let them play; the money hidden below floorboards in a small cabin further into town. I can still recall everything.

But now, there's a hand in mine. A small hand, petite and soft. It had small bumps where calluses were attempting to develop. It had a strong grip as if afraid to let go. We stand, side by side, staring down our adversaries. There are six others beside us, standing tall and proud. We have an unbreakable bond, stronger than any shield seen before.

I grip Jimin's hand tightly. The smell of smoke still lingered in the air from the burnt remains of our first base. I could make out chairs and picture frames from the rubble. It made my heart constrict. Had we been a second later, we would've been blown to smithereens. Our bodies would be mixed in the ashes, our legacy gone along with the restaurant. Our fight would've ended in vain. All the death would've been for nothing.

But there's a hint of vanilla in the air, bringing life to the wind. Today would be different. This time, we're the ones with the plan, with the firepower, with the control. There are no fancy words to be said, no big reveal to be found. No negotiations. Just us and Chae. No one else. This is our world, and for once, he was the one living in it. He had no power. This was our terrain. Our home.

I grit my teeth. "Are you ready, Jimin?"

He shakes his head.

I could tell from the way he held my hand that he never would be. There were no words I could offer him to soften the blow of seeing this monster again. Even telling him that it would be the last time wouldn't be enough. I can feel my heart steeling itself. This will be the last time. Whatever happens, it'll be the last time.

The last time I pull a trigger.

The last time I hear the hammer slam.

The last time I smell blood under my nose.

The last time his eyes go empty.

I stop next to the corner of the alley, my eyes on the floor. Jimin gets to start this. Not me. This isn't my moment to stand. I pull the trigger, but this isn't my time. My hand tightens into a fist so hard that I can feel my fingernails cutting. I brace myself for the slimy feeling coming next. When Jimin's steps stop, it's my turn. I don't know whether to feel at peace or anxious.

My steps fall on the heartbeats in my ears. Step, thump. Step, thump. Step, thump.

"Finally joining the party, (Y/N)?"

My teeth slide against each other, but my eyes don't come up.

"Still afraid of me? Such a shame. I thought I beat that out of you."

"Enough," Jimin snarls. "Speak your poison before I reconsider."

"So cruel. Is that any way to treat dear old dad?"

Chae continues speaking, but I can't find it in myself to listen. Nothing he says matters anymore. His words hold no weight. They're as threatening as a tiny fly. Even though I can hear Jimin's voice tremble, I have no such attachments. Years of torture just to come here, to this spot.

I laugh softly.

All that hypothesizing for nothing.

"Hmm?"