Chapter 58 - First Date

We ended up lying on the floor the entire night. I fell asleep after he did just so I could listen to his breathing for the first time in months. It was the exact same as before, calm and unbothered. I buried my face into his chest and focused on the music of his heart. It lulled me to sleep like the perfect lullaby.

When I woke up, his eyes were open. Our eyes met as I looked up, and my chest pounded in excitement. It was real. I hadn't been dreaming. He was here, in my arms, his heart next to mine. His smile was real, it wasn't my imagination, and the light was back. His eyes were shining brighter than the dawn, brighter than the stars they held.

"Good morning."

A breath shuddered out of my lips. "Good morning."

His hand reaches up and starts caressing the back of my neck. His skin was still so soft, the occasional calluses also there. He looked like he had a halo around his body.

"Did you take care of yourself while you were here?"

"Do I look like I did?" I ask, my voice rough from waking up.

He shakes his head, his fingers still slowly working the tension out of my neck. "No more than I did."

"I figured the boys would make you eat."

"They did." He looks up at the ceiling. "And Jin occasionally slipped sleeping tonics into my food so I'd sleep."

I sigh softly. "How are they?"

"They miss you very much. Everyone was searching frantically."

I wasn't sure if I was happy they hadn't given up or disappointed they hadn't.

"It's not your fault." He sits up, taking me with him. "I'm the one who said all the horrible things."

"But I'm the one who made the initial mistake, Jimin." I bite my lip. "You wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me."

He tilts my chin up. "I regret nothing. I have a strong family who love me and a person I'll spend the rest of my life with."

No. No more crying. That was for last night.

"Are you sure you want me?"

He kisses my forehead, the action more tender and sweet than a lip kiss. "I've never been more sure of something. Do I need to repeat what I said last night?"

I shake my head. "Just... stay here."

He smiles sweetly. "Always."

~~~~~

After we finally got up, the first thing he did was take me to get a proper meal. I didn't want to, but he insisted. I let him wear my clothes, though I could tell he missed the vanilla smell. He didn't let go of my hand as we walked around to find a place to eat. I felt light on my feet as we looked around, and I actually saw the city I'd chosen to live in. I saw the bright sun, the friendly smiles, the beautiful architecture. I could see it all. I smelled the sweetness in each bakery, the scent filling my soul.

"We should get some pastries."

I meet his eyes with a tilt of my head. "Why?"

"It's our first date, so I want to do something a little special," he hums."Also, so you can start smelling like you again. Step one, you know?"

I shake my head with a soft smile. "What happened to lunch?"

"It'll come first." He points at a cafe up ahead. "Have you ever been there?"

I look up at it. I didn't even know it had existed.

"I'll take that as a no. Let's go, then."

He half drags me to the cafe, but the certainty in his steps are what helped me follow. Each passing moment was filling the gap those months had left. The smiles he gave me were reminding me of why I love him. Every soft comment he made was just as sweet as I remembered and needed. He was still himself, though a little drawn. My Jimin was here, holding my hand and smiling at me. He'd made his decision to step forward, and all I had to do was step with him.