Chapter 14 - Useful

I felt awful when Jimin left the sparring room. My mouth tasted like battery acid. It was so difficult to look at anything but the mats in front of me. I only managed to leave the room ten minutes after he left, and that's because I saw Taehyung pass by as he left the shooting range. A part of me wanted to fix what I'd said, maybe lie, but the other part didn't want to see him. Not after that huge embarrassment and then that face. That vulnerable expression would be the death of me.

I decided to go to the kitchen and see if Jin had left a list for groceries, and sure enough, he had. He'd even left money and a little P.S. at the bottom of the note: Buy yourself something. I smiled lightly. Rather than buying myself something, I should make it so Jimin doesn't hate me as much. Maybe a token of reconciliation. Like brass knuckles. Those would be nice. Though, five bucks wasn't going to cover it. I rush back to my room and grab my credit card. I didn't see anyone as I left, though I definitely heard voices whispering. I wasn't sure who, so I just kept walking.

I practically jogged to my usual weapons store. Some had to be bought off the black market, but brass knuckles? I could find some good ones pretty cheap. I push open the door with a smile. The usual vendor was there, and he smiled back.

"Hey, (L/N). What can I get for you today?"

I browse through the glass casings. "I'm looking for some brass knuckles. But even better than the ones I bought last time."

He whistled, almost like it was a bad decision. "That's expensive territory, there. Can you afford it with just one card?"

I lift the golden card, the one connected to the pay from Boss Chae. I hoped this purchase would seem like the usual weapons go around and not alert suspicions. Withdrawing this much money would be stranger than just buying it, at least in my mind.

"I've got it covered."

He scoffs, shaking his head. "Alright, then it'd probably be… these ones." He reaches into one of the boxes and pulls out ribbed brass knuckles. The metal had been painted a sleek black, the studs almost blending in. "This is the most expensive bad boy I have."

I take ahold of it and feel the material. I put it onto my hand and test the grip comfortability too. It laid over my knuckles perfectly, so striking wouldn't mean pain. The grip was soft and not too thick.

A smile slides onto my face. "They're beautiful."

"I can ring it up for you now if you want to take it."

I put it down and slide it back to him. "Actually, can you add an engraving on them?"

His eyebrows go up as he takes the weapon. "You've never asked for that before."

I shrug. "Felt like something different. Can you put the letters P.J. on it?"

"Like the sandwich?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes. It's to dedicate my love."

He laughs, shaking his head. "Come get it tomorrow, I'll have it ready then."

I slide the card over. "I'll go ahead and pay now, though."

He nods and takes the card. He rings up the purchase. I stare at how many zeroes there are. I'd never even bought myself something this expensive. I sigh lightly as the amount disappeared, the money taken from my card. Damn my guilty feelings. I wanted them to leave and never come back so I'd stop uselessly spending money.

He hands the card back. "Thanks for your patronage."

I wave as I leave the store. I walk towards the grocery store, humming lightly. It wasn't the nicest day to be outside, rain clouds gathering above. It was only afternoon, but it was already the darkness of dusk. I take a deep breath of air.

Then it was knocked out of me.

I double over from the strike before being dragged into an alleyway. I swing at who grabbed me, but then I feel metal collide with the back of my head. I make a sound before I fall, my body going into an almost shock. All I saw were shoes as my vision faded black.

~~~~~

I woke up to water being poured on the back of my head. I jolted up, panting as I looked around with wild eyes. My eyes land on a fine pair of pants and slide up.

Boss Chae stares down at me.

"Finally decided to join us? I didn't get your report this week and figured taking you would be most effective."

My hand darts up to the rope around my throat. "What the fuck is this."

A click of a gun brings my eyes away from Boss Chae.

"Don't remove the rope. Something tells me it's… necessary."

I lower my hand as the gun signals down.

"Why was your report late? Additionally, what is the report? You've been living with them for a few weeks now. Surely you've learned enough to wipe all of them out."

I didn't know what to say. It was like I was back in the training room with Jimin, and every word made me guilty. My lips remained sealed shut, even as his eyes bore down on me.

"You must've at least learned the number of them."

The vagueness of my reports had caught up with me.

He jerks his hand up. I look up when I hear a pulley, a gasp leaving my lips as I realized what my situation was. My hands shoot to the rope the moment I shoot up into the air. Immediately, my windpipe is choked shut. I kick as I try to think of anything to get me out of the situation, but all my brain could come up with was BREATHE. I reached behind my head and tried to undo the knot, but it was just a clasp that wasn't going to come undone. I could feel my heart began speeding faster and faster because I NEED TO BREATHE.

Boss Chae drops his hand, and I smack back onto the floor. I cough and wheeze as air fills my lungs again, my vision going in and out of focus. My hand lies over my throat as if that would do anything.

"You know more than you're letting on." He comes closer and lays a gun on my forehead. "I know you have your priorities confused right now. So, I'll give you the opportunity to set them straight because of how useful you've been to me. Bring me their heads by the end of this month, or this bullet has your name on it."

I can feel my soul tearing inside.

He lifts his hands and the rope pulls me up again. I can feel tears in my eyes as my oxygen supply is cut off again. As my vision starts tunneling again and my body begins trembling, there was one thought in my mind.

No.