Chapter 36 - Danger Around the Corner

On days where everyone goes out, I found myself particularly bored. Namjoon and Jin went to work, Jungkook and Taehyung went out to an art museum, Yoongi went shopping for weapons, Hoseok went to gather information on businesses, and Jimin went to work out in a gym. I was the only one who couldn’t go out during the day, and I was getting sick of it. There’s a potential that I’d be recognized by any number of Chae’s men, so I just had to stay. I had to sit in the boring ass house with the boring ass appliances and boring ass rooms. Jungkook kept his gaming system inside his room, and I didn’t want to go in there without him knowing.

But I’m so bored.

“Ugh.”

I sit up, taking my feet off the bed and putting them onto the ground.

“You know what? Fuck it.”

I get up and change into sweatpants and a sweater. I hide all of my hair with a beanie, put on some fake glasses, and slip a mask over my face. I take some money from Jin’s stash in the kitchen. I leave through the alleyway into a slew of people to hide myself. No one looked my way even once. I felt an easy smile tug at my lips. I was so used to having everyone look my way, to judge me, to look me up and down, to search for the faults contained. It was like a cloak had draped over me and hid me from the eyes of the world. The air would glide through my clothes and into my veins, becoming the movement that propelled me. The chatter surrounding me was a song. The cars in traffic were dancing and humming along. The sunshine was welcoming for once, not something to be shied away from. This is the world around me. It’s beautiful and full of life. I shouldn’t just let it drift me by. It may throw horrible things at me, but it wasn’t simply pulling me along. I could let it go and choose to follow instead. I could look around and enjoy the experiences.

I slide into a corner store to do just that. I glide around the aisles, taking in the different foods I’d never even considered. There’s noodle flavors I couldn’t have come up with alone, types of breads that amazed me, drinks of all kinds of tastes, and an entire aisle filled with candies from my wildest daydreams. I pick one of each thing. After I pay, I start walking along the street. I pass the old restaurant, new construction over it. Black marks on the ground served as a reminder of the past. I recognized some of Yoongi's old customers complaining that it was gone and no one had seen him. I stifled a laugh, having to hide it under my hand. Yoongi would probably fall quiet and blush if I told him that people wanted him to open another restaurant. I continue walking then, travelling down to another street. Clothing stores lay on each side, ads of beautiful models in the windows. There were cafes along the street as well. I pass them, coffee entering my senses. There were people working on computers, friends joking, and employees working. I pictured myself in one of the uniforms, talking with coworkers and making lattes. It was a weird sight to imagine.

I kept walking along the streets. I glance into passing cars to see what the drivers do. I step into the lobby of a museum to see what it's like. Giant statues stood around me, visitors of all kinds gawking. I was one of them, so shocked at everything around me. Even though I wasn't in any of the exhibits, the knowledge around me was like nothing I'd ever seen before. It was a fantasy world I'd only ever heard about.

"Hey. You going to buy a ticket?"

I whip around to see the staff member. "Oh, ah… no." I quickly ran out of the museum.

I sit on the steps outside while snacking on some bread. I watch people pass by and listen in on the occasional conversation.

"…down with this…"

"…going to have lunch…?"

"Take pictures…"

"I'm close, boss."