Chapter 28 - Aftercare of Failure

It was hours later when I finally finished cleaning up. Dressed in one of Jimin's looser tank tops and sweatpants, I kept ruffling my hair with a towel. The shower made me smell like soap rather than shit, so I was pretty happy.

Jin steps into the room. "Hey, I got something you might want." He hands me a small vial. "It's vanilla diluted with some water. It'll help you get rid of any residual smell."

I smile in thanks and take the vial. I throw the towel onto the bed and rub some into my hair, making my hair smell like freshly baked cookies. It smelled so good that I added some to the inside of my wrists. I moved to hand the vial back, but Jin shook his head. I pursed my lips in protest, though I eventually gave in. I set the vial onto the nightstand.

"How much longer until everyone gets back, do you think?"

"Not long. They left right after we watched you go into the sewers." He leans against the wall. "You didn't get any injuries, did you?"

I shake my head and lift my arms to show him. "How did they team up?"

"Jimin and Tae went together since Tae is a good support for Jimin's close range. Yoongi and Kook are a good team for the same reason, with Kook being amazing at everything. Don't worry, they'll be okay. I'm making dinner for when they get back, so if you need me, I'll be in the kitchen."

I didn't want to admit it, but just like with the hacking mission, I was nervous. Keeping people alive and moving them was much harder than killing somebody. Rescue made not only the break-in difficult, but the escape too. On top of that, there's extra baggage that can't be injured. I've had the luck to never participate in one of those.

I sigh lightly.

~~~~~

As time went on, I was the only one who stayed awake. Namjoon and Jin were tired from work, so they headed in. Hoseok was watching TV for a while, but he passed out on the couch around four. I woke him up so he'd go to his room. I went into the kitchen and decided to fix up something for the guys to eat when they got back. Even if they might be too tired, I figured they'd need to eat at least a little. It might not be as good as what Jin had cooked, but something is better than nothing. I kept the lid on the instant noodles so it'd stay hot until everyone returned. I turned off the stove and went back to the living room. I sit on the couch with a sigh. When the clock read six, I seriously considered going to sleep. I couldn't, though. I didn't have the same faith that the others did. I'd seen rescue missions end poorly. I'd read the reports of fellow hitmen dying along with their extraction target. As much as I wanted to be confident, I couldn't be.

I was about to start thinking the worst when I heard exhausted footsteps coming down the stairs. I darted up immediately and went over. There was no question it was them. Quiet footsteps would've meant enemies, but these were so loud.

I stopped in the stairway.

"Oh, thank god," Jimin mumbles before collapsing onto me. I made a surprised sound before I caught him, but I sunk to my knees because of his dead weight.

Everyone else came down by walking around us. I was heavily relieved when I counted all four of them, but they looked drawn. I didn't want to ask what had taken so long when they all looked as they did. Yoongi removed his beanie and face mask and threw them onto the table. Blood splatter covered half his face. His mint hair had droplets of red too. Jungkook removed his face mask, and I noticed how blood also covered him. I looked in confusion at Taehyung, who shook his head.

He pulls off his face mask too. "We'll tell you guys tomorrow. Jimin did a lot of hard fighting once the groups met up. Can you clean him up?"

"I, uh..." I was going to decline, but I paused. We watched Yoongi walk into his and Hoseok's room without cleaning the blood splatter off his face, and that told me something had gone wrong. "Sure. I can do that."