Drowning in Your World of Fun

Scene 1: The Helmsley Hotel

Leo Rylin

"Oh, I wasn't expecting you so soon," Heather furrows her eyebrows at me.

"I'm sorry, I can come back..."

"No, it's fine," she motions for me to come in, "why didn't you use the elevator?"

"I didn't know whether or not your parents would be home...I'm not sure which one of them I'm more intimidated by, but I wanted to make a good impression."

"That's sweet," Heather says distractedly.

She likes to refer to things as "sweet," instead of nice or pleasant...I always liked how it sounded coming from her, but today it sounds different.

"Was it a bad idea?"

"No, it's good, but I don't recommend wasting your time," she shrugs. "We should go upstairs, actually. They'll probably be home soon."

"Okay?"

I let her take my hand and lead me there. This gesture is small compared to what I'm becoming accustomed to, but I'll take it...because something seems off.

"You can shut the door," she tells me once we reach her room.

I nod and close it behind me, "so, what are we doing here? Which Heather do I have today?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are we good? Or are you doing that thing where you distance yourself from me again?"

She sighs sadly, "I don't want to."

"I figured," I say unsurprisingly and turn to reopen the door.

"No, Leo, you don't understand. This is why I didn't want to say anything," Heather huffs, "why does it have to be all or nothing with you?"

"The same reason it has to be absolutely nothing with you," I argue.

"My parents hate you so much that they've started trying to pawn me off to the nearest guy who doesn't make their stomach turn," Heather continues, "and you're not even cordial with any of my friends. We don't talk in school unless we're partners on something or if no one is watching. Admit it, this doesn't work outside of your bedroom."

I scoff, "That's bullshit, you just want out."

She rolls her eyes, "you're so obstinate. Can you listen for once?"

"I am listening."

"I don't want you to hate me for being realistic. It's not like either of us were happy to have feelings for the other. So, what can really happen between us, huh? I just want to stay your friend...I want to help you with homework and watch movies with you and share songs."

I step up closer to her, "but, I like you."

"And I like you too, but we can't do this."

I sigh in disappointment, but there's no point in trying to change her mind.

"Fine, if that's what you really think...we'll keep being friends."