Where You Can Find Me

Scene 1: The Four Seasons

Alison Sinclair

"Isn't this nice?" Trevor asks aloud, "a nice meal before we fly out of the snow to land in even more snow."

"I can't wait until we get there. There's no group of people I'd rather go Jack Nicholson on than you all," Jace says jokingly.

"You could have literally just said Jack Torrance, it would have made more sense," Trevor shook his head and laughed.

"Oh, yeah, because you're the curator of logic," Jace replied.

"Seven days of this," Evie said to me from across the table.

"And two plane rides," I pressed my lips into a thin line.

"It's too late to back out now, dear Ali," Trevor smirked.

"I'm not so sure," I tease, "I may just leave you alone."

"I wouldn't be in complete solitude. Audrey is meeting us at the airport after all." I glare at the mention. "...no one should spend Christmas alone."

"Oh, Ethan is also meeting us at the airport," Jace chimes in.

I watch as Trevor scowls at him. "Great," he says sarcastically.

"No one should spend Christmas alone," I say with a smirk.

"Who is he bringing?" Trevor sighs.

Jace shrugs, "he didn't say, I think they'll all be solo. Audrey, Tony, and Ethan..."

"Three's a crowd," Trevor says in annoyance.

"Four's a party...does anyone have any idea what Heather's doing?"

I stare down at my plate to avoid having to answer.

"Audrey said she has a family thing," Trevor replied.

Jace scoffed through laughter, "I doubt that."

"Why do you care?" Evie furrowed her eyebrows.

"I don't..." Jace attempted to explain, "but all of her friends are getting on this plane. It's a little weird that she's not."

"Did you invite her, Alison?" Trevor asks.

"Um—" no, because I saw any idea of travel plans leave her mind the moment she looked at that guy.

It would take Heather to do something so controversial as getting involved with a burnout.

But, I could have it all wrong...

For the life of me, I hope I do.

"Should we?" Jace suggested.

"You'll call her," Trevor nodded at me, "she's probably bored at home waiting."

Scene 2: Madison Street

Heather Blakely

Maybe you really don't want to see me, but I still made my way over...

You have to be mad at me, you have to be something because that's better than never letting me talk to you again.

So, I thought...

Before I walked into your building and saw you laughing with her...and then saw the smile fall from your face when you caught a glimpse of me.

"Hi..." I said hesitantly.

He sighed, "Heather."

...butterfly.

"How are you?" I continued, hoping to kill him with kindness.