Downhill from Here

Scene 1: The Plaza Hotel

Audrey Michaels

"You're hiding away..." Trevor leaned against the door frame, "in my room..." he sighed, "and it's making me sad."

"I'm in no mood for socializing. Be grateful, I'm not letting anyone use your bed for immoral things."

"I'm grateful you trust that I've washed my sheets."

I groaned and quickly got off of the bed. "Disgusting, Trevor."

"Oh, good, you're up. Let's go, I have a surprise for you."

"What?"

"Just come with me." He grabbed my hand and pulled me toward him.

"I don't want to be around everyone," I complained as he covered my eyes and walked me into the noise.

"You'll want to be around her."

"Her?"

He pointed to Natalia dancing in a cluster of people.

"Audrey!" She yelled excitedly and ran over to hug me.

"...why are you here?" I asked, not hugging her back.

"Trevor invited me." She smiled. "Want me to leave?"

"No...I'm just surprised to see you...and surprised you're talking to me."

"Why wouldn't I be?" Natalia asked dazedly, her mind distracted as she took my hands and continued to dance around.

"Can you hold on for a moment?"

"I'll hold on for forever." She wrapped her arms around herself with a smile, and I tried to return her smile without looking too confused.

Trevor stood nearby observing the scene.

"Why is she being so weird?" I asked him.

"Yeah...someone has been passing out party favors," he said uneasily. "Ethan has also met molly. I have not."

"Natalia and ecstasy?"

"Maybe she didn't know. Maybe she was nervous about seeing you. Maybe...I should find out how these are going around. There's a chance someone is spiking drinks."

"I thought this was supposed to be a classy party," I complained.

"And who was meant to ensure that?" He crossed his arms. "Just look after her. Make sure she's drinking water."

You couldn't have forced me out here before she needed babysitting?

"Don't you love this song? It's so good." Natalia swayed and twirled like she was having the best time. To think— last time I saw you, you had tears on your face.

"We should stay hydrated." I grabbed her and led her toward the kitchen.

"You are so beautiful...like a queen of a magical kingdom of lights and fairy dust. I should be bowing at your grace."

"Please don't."

"Yes, your highness." She bowed anyway, so happy, such a bright smile.

"Oh, Natalia," I sighed and smoothed down her hair.

"You love me now?"

Scene 2: The Palace Hotel

Ethan Carey

"Your skin feels like heaven. Are you always this soft?" I asked as we backed into the bedroom.

"Yes," she cooed. Her name is Katie or Lainey or Annie or Kimmy— definitely something that ends with that 'E' sound.