The One Before Valentine's Day

Scene 1: Homeroom - Physics

Leo Rylin

"You'll have exactly one hour and fifteen minutes to complete this exam," Ms. Chang puts the test facedown on my table.

There's only five people here, everyone else was exempt.

"If you finish early, bring it up to me and then quietly exit."

Heather and I really did study a bit when I was at her house. It made her feel better about telling my mom that's what we were doing.

"Remember, do your best, and don't spend too much time on one question."

See, even if I know the information on the test, I still fold under pressure.

I wish my study buddy was here.

I could coax her into giving me the answer to all 25 of these questions.

Until then...

My eyes scan around the room at the posters and charts like there are hints written on the walls.

"Focus, Mr. Rylin."

The half-life of one isotope of radium is about 1,600 years.

Sure.

An object with mass and speed directed to the right strikes a wall and rebounds with speed directed to the left.

Sure?

The change in the object's kinetic energy is—

Screw it.

After I read a problem, I circle the first answer that pops into my brain— when I blank, I circle 'B.' If gravity was discovered by an apple falling to the ground, then that means physics can be solved by common sense alone.

For fuck's sake, I made flashcards, if I fail, I'm never picking up a book again.

"All done," I sigh and hand her the test. "Are you giving them back after they're graded?"

"You want to go over your answers?" I nod. "I am glad to know you developed study habits. I'll grade it right now." She takes out a bright red pen.

"Oh..."

I avoid looking at the exam when she starts marking it— but I hear every slash she makes, and stop counting after 3. I should've concentrated on the material more...I shouldn't have started fucking my tutor until after-

"Well done."

My eyes widen in surprise, "I got an eighty?"

"And you passed the first semester."

I smile, "Cool."

"This is what happens when you apply yourself."

"I guess so."

"I am assuming the tutoring helped?"

You know what, Ms. Chang, I owe you one for real.

I try not to smirk, "yeah, thanks, you have no idea how great that worked out for me."

"Thank Heather," she nods.

"Believe me, I will."

"Also, if you both would prefer, you can have fewer sessions now, or stop them altogether."

"Nah, we're good."

"I'd like to hear that from her as well, but it sounds fine to me. Whatever is best."

My girlfriend kissing me whenever I get a question right is what's best.

Scene 2: Chester High Cafeteria