Too Late to Stop, Too Far to Continue

Scene 1: Madison Street - Zach's Apartment

Zach Teeling

"Are you going to work?" I ask Peyton when I see her laying across the couch cushions.

"No, I don't work again until after New Years," she says as she flips through a Seventeen magazine

"...Oh, so...no one is working?"

"The mall is still open, Zach," she looked up at me in annoyance.

"And Spencer Gifts?"

"Does mom know you go in there?" Peyton says in a threatening tone.

"Forget it," I huff and turn away to head back to my room.

I've decided to become friends with Aaron before the break is over. I think we hit it off— even if he was only being nice to me so that I would buy something.

I just don't want to go back to school with a fake Aaron who is fake gay for my dumb agenda against Evan. If I really know him, then at least part of it is real. Besides, I'm sure we have more in common than just hot sources of light.

As soon as I get halfway into my room, the phone in the hall starts to ring.

I groan because I know Peyton won't answer it, and it's probably not a call for me.

"Hello?"

"Hey— uh, this is Zach, right?"

"Who wants to know?" I say skeptically.

"It's Josh."

I roll my eyes, "oh, the boyfriend."

"Is Peyton around?"

I snicker to myself..."No, can I take a message?"

"Yeah...just tell her to call me. It's important."

"Will do, uh— Josh, you say?" I question teasingly as I write it down on the notepad by the phone.

"Peyton's boyfriend...yes," He says in confusion.

"I've got it down right here, 'Call Josh,' okay, bye," I put the phone back on its post.

"Who was that?" Peyton asks when I rush past her and into the kitchen.

"Where does mom keep the phone books?" I ignore her question and start opening cabinets.

"Why do you need them?"

"For numbers, obviously," I mutter under my breath.

"Who called, Zach?" She asks again.

"Found one!" I say victoriously.

I can see Peyton staring at me from the corner of my eye, but I pay her no mind as I scour the pages for the number to Spencer Gifts.

I'll call...and maybe Aaron will pick up. I can start with a joke or something...and then ask about the store...after, I can see if he wants to hang out sometime. If that sounds too weird, I'll suggest making it a group thing because— he probably doesn't like guys.

I sloppily jot down the number on my hand before casually walking back to the phone. Peyton is suspicious enough...and she'll be pissed when she finds out Josh called and I hung up on him.

It rings exactly four times on the other line before someone picks up. A girl...

"Spencer Gifts, how may I help you? This is Jackie," She says, and I freeze up. I could actually feel how silent it was, and still, my mouth wouldn't move. "...Hello?