You'll Be Just Fine

Scene 1: Addington High Library

Heather Blakely

"See, why did I get a B minus? This was clearly an A," Lisa said exasperated.

"It's a good paper," I hand it to Alison to read.

"5 pages just for him to say I didn't elaborate enough. Are you kidding me?"

"He's new," Jace shrugged.

"So?"

"He doesn't know how easy it would be to have him fired. One parental call to the headmistress, and it will be like this essay never happened."

"Are you sure?" Lisa's eyes widen.

"The student is always right."

"Hey," Leo draped his arm over my shoulder.

"Hi," I smile and stand up to get closer to him.

"How was your day?" He pulled me near.

"It was good, yours?"

"Good," he stares down at my lips before kissing them. I guide him backward away from the table, so we aren't watched too closely. In private, he kisses me harder. We pull apart and Leo smirks while glancing over me. "You're pretty."

"Thank you."

"Aye— we're out," Jordan yells across the library prompting annoyed glares.

"I'll see you later, okay?" Leo says to me.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm heading out with the guys."

"Hm..."

He rubs his hands down my arms, "We're just going to ride around, get some food, and probably chill at my place."

"Okay."

"I'll call you."

"Don't forget."

He smiled, "How could I forget about you?"

Leo kissed me one last time before running after his friends. I stood watching him leave until he was completely out of the door.

"Is everything okay?" Alison asked.

"Of course," I forced a smile onto my face.

"...really?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"Because you're lying right now," Jace smirked.

"Fine," I sigh and take a seat. "I hate his friends."

"That's no surprise."

"They are dangerous, reckless, and completely unhinged. Leo is a target next to them."

"Aw, and look at you in an uproar about it. Adorable," Alison teased.

"Leo used to tell me all the time when I was having problems with you, and you, and Audrey or anyone that I was 'better than that,' but if I said the same to him now, he'd be upset. He's so attached to them."

"Have you talked about it?"

"Yes, he's dismissive. He keeps saying that he'll be careful, but there's no way to ensure that if someone wants to hurt him."

"Who wants to hurt him?" Alison said in confusion.

"I don't know? People," I huff. "I'm worried. I love him so much."

"I'm sure he knows what he's doing," Jace shrugged.

"Sure, maybe."

"Keep him occupied."