Damned and Distressed

Scene 1: Carnal Desires

Trevor Bailey

"Why did you bring me here?" Audrey leans on my shoulder, feeling the effects of the alcohol.

"Because, Audrey, you're a stiff. You don't have fun."

"You have too much, you could benefit from being stiff." I snicker at her response, and she rolls her eyes while pushing me away. "Grow up."

"Fun Audrey would laugh at that."

"Why? It's not funny. It's immature."

"Which is why it's funny," I nudge her. "Loosen up. You're clearly not drunk enough."

"I'm not drinking anymore. I have to stay in control."

"I doubt even intoxicated Audrey Michaels would lose decorum."

"And we'll never live to find out because I don't want to be one of those girls who drink too much, climbs onto the table, and strips."

"I do that sober," I smirked.

"Who would stop me if my inhibitions were low? You?" She asked rhetorically with a hint of snark at the end.

"Yes."

"Trevor the perverse?"

"I am not."

"Now that's funny," Audrey laughed mockingly. "Do you not recall the things you've said to me since I started dating Natalia? Just yesterday, you said 'some people have a security blanket, I-'"

"I have the thought of you lying naked with another woman. Yes, I said that, but I was kidding. I don't actually imagine that— I couldn't unless I saw you both, and even then I wouldn't say it." She narrows her eyes in disbelief. "Well, only to you, but that's because we have a special relationship."

"No, we don't. I simply put up with you."

"And I put up with you. Audrey the shrew." Her mouth falls open with offense. "I love you in spite of it. That's what makes us special."

"Very well," she rolls her eyes and finishes what's left in her glass. "Still don't understand why you brought me of all people. Especially considering you won't get anything from me."

"I'll have you know, I'm depriving women of me until I'm through with Vivian."

"You want her?"

"Gone? Yes."

"What is your plan exactly? How have I had a part in it and I don't even know what your end game is?"

"I have a role in the greatest play ever. Shakespeare is rolling in his grave for not dreaming this one up."

Audrey smiles and shakes her head, "You get on my nerves."

I laugh at her response, knowing that if she said it sober it would've been accompanied by a glare and sashay.

"More bottle service, Mr. Bailey?" Ethan comes to our section with vodka and mixers. "Please, spend plenty of money in my establishment. Employee paychecks are actually denting my bank account."

"That's because you have too many, young Carey."

"Nonsense."

"Tony has a hand in this?" Audrey questioned.

"Yes, a small hand, however."

"Aren't you scared of getting caught?"

Ethan sighs and sits down, "Threatening me or warning me, Audrey?"