If Love Shall Live

Scene 1: Addington High

Leo Rylin

"I thought we were going to the bleachers?" Heather stands confused when we walk around them.

"We are, but under."

"Why?"

"So we can stay out here longer." I take off my hoodie and lay it out on the ground. "Sit here."

"You're just going to put your jacket on the grass?" She seemed shocked.

"Yeah, I don't need it. It's warm out," I pull her down with me. We're shoulder to shoulder and she holds my hand without saying another thing. "We're good?" I ask.

"Why wouldn't we be?"

"Just making sure you'd say something if we weren't."

"You know I would."

"Yeah," I smirked, she's more outspoken now than she used to be.

"And you would too."

"For sure." Even though it's hard to with you.

"Is this because I was too tired to talk on the phone last night?"

"No, that was my fault. I'm sorry I called so late."

"It's okay...I was glad you remembered," she smiled.

I smiled back, "How could I not? I thought about you all day."

"Couldn't have been all day," she said modestly.

"You doubt how much I think about you?"

Heather leaned in close, brushing her nose over mine before I had her lips pressed to me. The sun cutting through the bleachers hit part of my face, and it still wasn't warmer than her.

I lay my head on her lap. "Read to me."

"What?" She almost laughs.

"You brought the books. Open one."

"It makes me nervous reading in front of someone. I'll stutter."

"Not someone, me."

"You're still someone even if you're my someone."

"How do you write poems and not read them out loud? The teachers here make it seem like a rule."

"I write them for myself, so the rules don't apply."

I smirked, "You gonna write some more about me?"

"Who says I haven't already?"

"Tease."

"Tease?"

"Because you're not gonna let me see them, are you?" A smile comes across her face, and she shakes her head 'no.' It's okay, butterfly. It sounds like poetry, line by line, whenever you say something nice to me. "In a couple weeks, it'll make 6 months since we got together. You know that?"

"I do," her hand combs through my hair.

"I've never dated anyone this long before."

"Tired of me yet?"

"Not even close." I turn around and slide Heather down by her waist until our faces are aligned. I like your eyes more than you like mine. Your pupils get all big, your heart races, and it's just your eyes looking at me. Close them and kiss me. I feel her fingertips against my cheek as my lips move between hers, softly, pulling back to kiss her again over and over until she holds me down on her. "Butterfly," I nestle my head by her neck. "Is the six months thing a gift day or what?"