Truly Madly Maybe

Scene 1: The Plaza Hotel

Trevor Bailey

"Good morning," Vivian greets me when I walk into the kitchen.

"Hello," I sigh, "where's Arthur?"

"On a call."

"So many calls lately."

"Well, the merger is happening soon. I'm sure after, he'll be more present."

"And less hostile," I raise an eyebrow.

"Hm," she glances down to avoid agreeing with me.  "Breakfast?"

"Tempting...but my car is here."

"Have a great day."

"You as well, I hope," I nodded to say goodbye before walking away...yet, somehow I got the feeling that she never quite stopped looking at me. When I turned back, I saw that I was right. "Can I ask you something, Viv?"

"Go ahead."

"I would like your advice."

"Mine?" She sounded surprised.

"Of course, the decision I make could affect me for the better or worse, and you're so good...I'm sure you'll help me make the right choice."

"Well, now I'm nervous." And slightly touched by the compliment.

"Don't be," I assure her. "I have this friend, we've known each other for a long time, but recently we have stopped knowing each other. It's as if one day he woke up and decided to be a mess for the rest of his life."

"It sounds like he needs a friend as badly as ever then, but it doesn't have to be you if it causes you trouble."

"Oh, it already has. He's better now, he insists, but when I told him I was done with him— I meant it. Should I go back on that?"

"What does your heart think?"

"My heart lets my brain do the thinking."

"That's no good."

"It's no fun, but plenty good."

I let my heart make one decision and I ended up with a short-stay girlfriend and a damper on my reputation.

From now on, I use my brain— and the other part of me that throbs on occasion.

"Doesn't it hurt to go on like you were never close?"

I shrugged, "People do it all of the time."

"They at least allow themselves to lose love or grow apart first."

"True." But I detach easily.

"You want to know what I think?"

"That is what I asked."

"I think you only came to me because you want to forgive your friend. You would not have wasted your breath on someone you didn't miss."

She's half right...but my breath wouldn't be wasted regardless of what she said. I intend to worm my way into your subconscious until you're dreaming of waking up to me.

Jace is a convenient excuse for a deep conversation.

"Vivian you're wearing me down. It won't be long now until I start needing you."

"It's good to feel needed."

"What can I say? I'm one to appreciate before it's gone, not after."

"An important quality to have," Vivian smirked.