Until Then

Scene 1: The Helmsley Hotel

Heather Blakely

"Which one for the last day of school?" I pull the rack of clothes further into the living room and show him a few outfit selections.

He chuckled, "It's a fashion show, butterfly?"

"You're supposed to look nice on the last day."

"You're supposed to look nice on the first day."

"Both."

"So people don't forget you're hot when they leave for the summer?" He teased.

"It's to celebrate."

"Do I have to dress up too?"

"No, you just have to tell me that I look pretty," I smiled.

"You do."

"Not right now," I said endearingly.

"Yes, right now."

I walk to where he is on the couch and straddle his waist. "You have been so sweet lately," my arms hooked around his neck. "What do you want?"

Leo smirked, "I thought I was always sweet to you."

"You are, but now you're being even more. So...what do you want?"

"Nothing."

"Mhm," I said skeptically.

"What could I want?"

"Hey, Heather, don't get mad— but the guys and I are going to get high and then crash a frat party we heard about. Cool if I skip out?"

He laughed at my imitation of him, shaking his head as if it wasn't accurate. "That sounds fun. But I wouldn't skip out, I'd get you to come with me."

"You'd want me there?"

"Of course," he nodded. "There's something at Mandy's later. Wanna come?"

"Do you plan on drinking?" I said slyly.

"Maybe...why?"

"You're an adorable drunk."

"What?" He laughed.

"I'm annoying when I drink, but you're so bubbly and fun to be around."

"You weren't annoying with me until you sobered up and decided we could never talk again."

"Ugh," I groan, "I'm sorry, I was too focused on being mortified to carry a conversation."

"Why? I told you if you asked when you were sober, I'd kiss you. Don't you remember?"

"Uh..." that night was in pieces when I woke up.

His eyes widened. "Are you kidding?"

"I'm sorry," I laughed and laid my head on his chest.

"You were all embarrassed because you couldn't remember half the night," Leo said frustrated. "I should've gone up to you in the library and just laid one on you."

I looked up at him in disbelief. "As if either of us were brave enough to handle that."

"I should've kissed you at your stupid ball," he challenged.

"I think I would've let you."

"I should've kissed you the night you showed up at my place while Amanda was there. I should've kissed you when I showed up at yours with flowers. I should've kissed you when I saw you get shy from being close to me."