From the Ashes and Used Parts

Scene 1: British Literature

Heather Blakely

"It's been a long year, Blakely," Audrey said.

I glanced up at her, a bit stunned she came over to me. "It has."

"Did you get one?" She shows me her yearbook.

"No."

"Here." She hands me the one under hers.

"Thank you."

"I'll be the first to sign it." I watch Audrey open up to a blank page and sign her name in large cursive. "You're welcome."

"Do you want me to sign yours?"

"That depends...will you call me a bitch again?"

I gave her a small smile, "No."

"Then sign away," she said, taking a seat next to me. "I heard about your breakup."

"I figured."

"He didn't deserve you."

I wanted him.

Still do.

"How are things with you?" I questioned.

"If you're asking for my relationship status, I'm single."

"I was just asking about you."

"I'm excellent." She smiled, and I couldn't tell if it was real or not.

"I'm glad."

Audrey flipped through the pages until she found herself. She's probably seen the picture a hundred times by now, but still, she analyzed it for flaws.

"What do you think?"

"You look pretty. Yours is always nice."

"Wouldn't have it any other way." She continued skimming through the book, stopping every once in a while on a familiar face. "Oh, look, a photo to commemorate your burnout phase," Audrey said, amused, and I couldn't bother with a response. I stared at the page, I was worried about Lisa's interview at the time, but it seems so pointless now. I didn't anticipate this picture, though...me and Leo. Together. "I'm sorry..."

"It's fine."

"Whatever happened...he's probably sick to his stomach being without you now."

"Do you think so?"

"Definitely." She shrugged, "I'd be surprised if he could even get out of bed or look at himself in the mirror— the boy who had and lost Heather Blakely."

I gaze down at the picture again.

Leo's smile.

He is sick to his stomach?

And that's supposed to make me feel better? As if he's the only one who's lost something...

My eyes began to water, and I blink away the tears before they can fall. "Excuse me," I said as I stood up.

"Heather?" Audrey furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yes?"

"Are you okay?"

I press my lips into a smile. "Perfect."

Scene 2: Addington High Interior Courtyard

Alison Sinclair

"Hey." Tony stood in front of me, and I tried not to look too surprised.

"How are you?"

"Good," he put on a gentle smile. "Sign my yearbook?"