Far Enough to Be Close

Scene 1: Madison Street - Zach's Apartment

Danny Cole

"Order a pizza," I toss a handful of popcorn at Matt.

"You order it," he throws back a couple of pieces.

"You're the one with a pocket full of cash," I argue.

"I'll order it," Leo shrugs happily, "a large pepperoni? Two?"

"I can go half with you," Matt suggests.

"Don't worry about it."

I snicker at his response. Leo doesn't spend money like this...he's always saving for no reason in particular. He only blows money on music and movies by Wes Craven or Stephen King.

But he's been on some sort of sugar high ever since I gave him that newspaper.

"I didn't take your stupid hairbrush!" We all hear Zach shout as Peyton starts chasing him back to where we are in the living room.

"Then where is it!" Peyton yells.

"I don't care!" Zach tries to stand his ground, but Peyton pushes him and he crashes into the side of the couch.

I told him she was a bitch.

"Oh," she takes a deep breath, "hey, boyfriend," she says to Leo, and he nods at her instead of actually saying anything. "Come hang with me," she holds her hand out for him to take, "you can help me get ready."

"No thanks," he shakes his head.

the look on her face is almost as priceless as the look on Matt and Zach's faces.

"Okay..." Peyton furrows her eyebrows and walks back toward her room or wherever.

"What the fuck was that?" Matt speaks up, "did you really say 'no' to watching her change?"

"Shut up, Matt," Leo said in amusement.

"Are you sick?" He puts his hand on Leo's forehead to check for a fever.

"He's sick," I nod with a smirk, "sick in love."

Leo rolls his eyes, "I'm not in love."

"Who does he love?" Matt questions and Zach just smiles like he already knows.

"Heather," Zach answers before I can.

"I don't love Heather," Leo denied.

"He thinks Heather loves him, though," I explain.

"She doesn't love me either— stop using that word," he sighs.

"What did I miss? What happened?" Zach sat on the floor by the couch and looked eagerly up at him for the full story.

Leo reaches into his pocket and takes out a folded piece of paper before handing it to Zach.

Yeah, you don't love her...you just carry poems in your pocket.