Aftermath

Scene 1: Homeroom - Physics

Heather Blakely

"Are you okay?" Tony asked when he saw me walk in.

I was hoping I didn't look as bad as I feel.

"Have you seen Leo?" I say worriedly.

"No..."

God, please be okay.

I took a seat...and not the one where I sit next to him.

"Good morning, class." Ms. Chang closed the door behind her, a sign that everyone should be here. But someone isn't...

"Good morning, Ms. Chang."

"Please, have your homework out on your desk."

The door starts to open and I take a deep breath anticipating who may be walking in.

And when I see his face, the feeling of relief is simultaneous with my heart cracking.

"Try to be here before the bell rings, Mr. Rylin."

"Sorry." I kept my head down to avoid eye contact. "Heather, can I talk to you?"

"...we're in class."

"It's important," he persisted. "Ms. Chang?"

Her eyes moved from him to me, and I suppose she could sense that something was wrong. Leo looks on edge, and I feel as though I could sink into the ground.

"Five minutes starting now."

He let out a sigh of relief, "Thank you."

I wrapped my arms around my body and held myself for comfort when I followed him to the lockers in front of our class.

"Hey," Leo said, lifting my head up with his finger.

I backed away. "Hi."

"Listen, about yesterday, it was fucked up, I know that but you just have to hear me out, okay?"

"Did you leave me to do something dangerous after telling me you wouldn't?"

"...yes," he admitted, reluctantly.

"Did you ever stop selling drugs for Matt?"

"No..." I rolled my eyes and turned away from him. "Heather, come on."

"There's nothing to talk about, Leo."

"We have to talk about you saying it was over. What the hell was that?"

"I meant it. I can't be with someone who might not be there the next day because he did something stupid."

"It isn't like that," he argued.

"You lied to me. You said you weren't involved anymore."

"I couldn't just bail on him, Heather. He's one of my best friends and he needed help."

I'm sick of that excuse.

"You lied to me."

"I didn't want you to be mad or worrying about me."

I scoffed. "Good job."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"I don't care."

"I love you."

There it goes. I wondered when it would happen...my heart completely falling to pieces.

I paused, trying to control my breathing and hold back the tears.

"It doesn't matter."

"How can it not matter?" He sounded hurt.

BurnoutsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara