50| Cue the Questions

We only have a few days left until break is over and New Years Eve is tomorrow, so Jungkook and I decide on what we're going to do. Originally, my family planned to all go down to the event room and celebrate New Years with everyone there, but since we've been staying out of each other's ways, we're not sure how it's going to play out.

Right now Jungkook is drawing in his sketchbook and I'm reading a book on my phone. There's a knock at our door and I slowly get up to answer it, putting my phone down on my comfortable bed as I leave the warmth.

I open the door to see none other than my father. "Hiya, dad." I greet awkwardly.

"Hi," he steps in and sees Jungkook on his bed, "I'd like to speak with him."

Jungkook and I look at each other and I can just barely see the fear flash through his eyes. "Okay," I sit on my bed, "Talk."

"Alone." He adds and I watch Jungkook's adam's apple bob as he gulps silently.

"Why can't you talk here?" I question and look back at my father.

"Because I'd like to speak with him alone, man to man." He concludes and Jungkook hesitantly puts his sketchbook down before standing up. I can tell he's faking his confidence while he meets my father's eyes, but I'm sure my dad doesn't know.

"Okay," I twiddle with my thumbs, "Where are you going?"

"Just downstairs to play a game of pool." My dad says and Jungkook gets his shoes on. My dad is good at pool, and has used this tactic against the boys in my life for a while. Hell, he even tried playing pool with Oliver who barely knew what a 'scratch' was.

"Ready?" He asks to Jungkook who- as I'm just now noticing- is a few inches taller than my father.

"Yes." Jungkook nods and they leave with goodbyes.

Jungkook's POV

I'm trying my hardest to stay nonchalant but it's difficult considering Ellie's father not only wants to talk to me, but alone. I've never met a girl's parents before, so I thought Thanksgiving was a piece of cake, but this time it's a little more serious.

We walk in silence all the way down to the lobby and he clears his throat, grabbing my attention.

"Why aren't you talking? Ellie says you're a great conversationalist when her mother and I speak to her on the phone."

"Uh," I scratch the back of my neck, "I guess I don't know what to talk about."

"I guess you're not that great of a conversationalist after all." He shrugs and I look down at the ground. I didn't realize how terrible I could make myself look just by not striking up an interesting conversation.

"So why do you want to speak with me?" I ask and look over at him as we go into the room with the pool tables.

"I have a few questions to ask." He states and I nod silently. Did I do something wrong?

He hands me a cue stick and puts a few quarters into the table. Together, we put the balls together in the triangle and I carefully lift it away from them.

"Are you breaking?" He hangs the triangle on a nearby hook.

"Sure. Solids and stripes?" I question the type of game.