10| Balance

Every day leading up to the weekend, the cheerleaders- my old friends- stare at me like I'm on display for judgement. They snicker not-so-secretly behind my back and spread the rumor of Jungkook and I doing the deed after last Friday's party.

Oliver, Jessie, and Rebecca set the rumor straight every time it comes up, and I'm extremely thankful of that. They're always there for me if something comes up and that's part of the reason they're the only people I can truly trust.

Later tonight while I'm in my dorm, I hear a single knock and then my door opens.

I jolt at the suddenness but I get agitated when I see Jungkook enter my dorm.

"Jungkook, what if I was naked or something?! You can't just barge in here!" I scold and point at him from my bed.

"I'd personally be completely fine if you were naked." He smirks and comes over to me.

"You're gross." I grimace at his words and cover my mouth like I'm gonna puke. "The rumors are bad enough, I don't need you feeding in to them."

"Rumors?" He sits on the end of my bed.

"Yeah, you can't say you haven't heard them about us. How people actually believe we had sex?"

"At least it's not a bad rumor." He winks. "It's cool with me if people think we did something together."

"Not funny." I glower at him in disgust.

"It's very funny." He smiles with his bunny teeth on display.

"Is not." I cross my arms over my chest.

"Is too." He leans toward me.

"Is not." I repeat myself and lean toward him, getting in his face a little more.

"Is too." He echoes and goes in closer, our noses almost touching now so I lean back against my bed frame but his face follows.

"Is not." I continue as he puts his hands at either side of my body.

"Is too," He says and my breath hitches in my throat but before I can comprehend the moment, my door opens again.

"Hey, El- Oh my gosh!" Rebecca jumps back at the sight of Jungkook overtop of me on my bed.

I push him off by his chest and Rebecca scrambles her words together, "Uh, I'll come back another time?"

"No, Reb-" I try to stop her but she leaves frantically. "I really need to start locking that door."

I look over at Jungkook and he's holding back laughter, "What's so damn funny, Jeon?"

Aaaand he bursts out laughing, "Good luck convincing people we're not screwing now."

"Whatever. It'll all stop tomorrow, anyway." I put my face in my hands. "Everyone will forget any of this happened and they'll be too drunk to care about the past week."

"So our fifteen minutes of sex rumors are going to expire tomorrow night? I'm not so sure of that." He side-eyes me.

"Of course," I attempt to convince him but I'm mostly trying to convince myself. "They'll have their own drama and rumors to worry about for the next week"

He shrugs and leans back on his hands, "You'd better call her and tell her the bad news."

"Bad news?"

"Yeah, bad news for me anyway." He lets out a breathy chuckle and I glare at him before reaching for my phone to dial Rebecca's number.

"Becca, we're not doing anything." I tell her as soon as she picks up and Jungkook shifts himself over to me, leaning in to hear our conversation.

"Yeah? Well it sure looked like you were getting close to doing something." She exclaims dramatically. "Ellie, if something is going on between you two, just tell me."

Jungkook glances into my eyes for a moment before looking away when I answer, "There's absolutely positively nothing going on. I can assure you a thousand times and even more that there's no connection."

"Then what was he doing with his lips all over my best friend?" She asks with a huff, "Did he play the 'there's something on your mouth' card? That sounds like a Jungkook thing to do!"

Jungkook has to pull away to let out a laugh and he agrees with her statement, nodding with a playful smile. I can only look down to my lap covered with a blanket and smirk a little at the two of them.

"We were, uh..." How do I explain this? "Having a competition."

"Wow! A competition? Does it involve tonsil tennis?"

"No! We didn't even kiss, calm down." I lean back against my wall and Jungkook's head follows my phone with me. "Are you mad at me or something?"

"No," she sighs, "I'm just a little irritated that you two spend all this time together, you slept at his dorm, and now this. I keep denying the rumors that come up about you guys but I might believe them soon."

Her words stab me like a dagger. The slow trickle of betrayal renders me speechless and Jungkook pulls his head away to look at my hurt features.

His mouth is slightly agape like he wants to say something but can't seem to get it out.

I'm silent on the line momentarily, "You still there...?" She asks and drags the syllables out slightly.

"Uh, yeah. I'm gonna go, though. I have homework to do." I say quietly through the phone.

"Hey, I didn't mean for it to sound li-" She starts again but I hang up, exhaling and letting my head hit the wall behind me. I close my eyes and Jungkook is completely silent; So silent that I would almost forget he's there if it weren't for his prevalent aura.

"I should go." Jungkook says softly but I grip the sleeve of the hoodie he's wearing to pull him back before he starts getting up.

"Don't." I say just as softly, opening my eyes to meet his rich brown irises. "We both know the rumors aren't true, that's all that matters."

"I'm not worried about the rumors," he speaks gently, "I'm worried that she's beginning to not side with you."

I nod, "Me too."

Ever since I left the cheerleading squad, Rebecca has been a little less on my side of things. When all the drama happened right before I left, she saw what they did to me and didn't bat an eye until I spoke up about it and how it bothered me.

And now with Jungkook... As much as I hate him, I still find comfort in being with him. Especially last Friday when I stayed the night over in his dorm. That's kind of the introduction of the sex rumors, but I still respect him for not making a move on me or having other intentions that night.

So while my trust is slowly decreasing with Rebecca, it's slowly increasing with Jungkook. Where will this lead me?

••••••••

Oooooh dramadramadrama ;)

Have you ever grown apart from a friend?

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕