11| Explanations

"We're going to the history museum tomorrow. It may or may not help you with your slides project, it all depends on your willingness to listen and retain the knowledge that you receive there." Mr. Davis speaks to the class, going on about what time we're all supposed to arrive there and alllll the details of our next assignment.

"The assignment is due the Monday before Thanksgiving break-"

"So next Monday?" Jessie whispers to me and I nod. "Why didn't he just say that?"

I shrug, "This is Mr. Davis we're talking about, nothing he says is a straight answer."

We listen in again, "...And that's why we're exploring the third wing of the museum."

I look over to Jungkook who seems to not be paying any attention to the professor. He's flipping a pen between his fingers skillfully, spinning it with ease and not letting it drop. It's mesmerizing in a way, and I can feel all of my focus slowly move to his pen-flipping hand.

"Ellie, what are you looking at?" Jessie's voice brings me back.

"Nothing," I tell her quickly, "I was just zoning out."

"Well zone out in that direction." She points in front of me, "You looked like you were staring at a specific you-know-who over there." She laughs and heat rushes to my cheeks.

Mr. Davis ends his speech about the trip tomorrow with a reminder that we all need to arrive there at 8AM. He dismisses us and we all get up to leave for our next classes.

"Are you coming over after classes?" I ask Jess and she nods with a smile. I put my things into my backpack and walk down the steps in the aisle between rows, making a right before rushing out to get to my next class.

»»»

"I just want it to be break already." Jessie falls face-first onto my bed as soon as she gets to my dorm room.

"Yeah, and tomorrow we have to get up and be at the museum by 8:00." I huff, "Is he crazy? It takes a whole hour to get there so is he really expecting me to get up at like 6 in the morning to go?"

"I guess you don't really have to go if you don't want to." She mumbles into my bedsheets.

"It's for a grade, of course I'm going. I just might find a quiet room to sleep in while we're there."

She laughs and sits up, "Are you driving alone? Oliver and Rebecca are carpooling with me."

I nod, "I just want some piece and quiet. I probably won't even have the radio on because I'll be too lazy to sing the songs and I don't want to feel crappy while forcing myself to sing one of my favorites."

"True, true." She agrees, "Oh yeah, what's with you and Becca lately? You haven't really talked."

"Well," I let out a prolonged exhale, "Jungkook was in here with me and she thought she saw something."

"What do you mean?" She shifts herself to sit criss-cross and faces me.

"Jungkook was kind of.... Overtop of me?" I say like it's a question. "And she walked in and thought we were, you know.... About to do things together."

"Back up, back up." She waves her hands, "He was overtop of you?"

"Yeah." I groan and let my head hit the wall. "It was a big misunderstanding, though. We weren't doing anything. He just happened to be a little closer than usual and- it's hard to explain. Anyway, she took it the wrong way and now she really thinks Jungkook and I have something between us."