49| Lights Out

Jungkook and I avoid my family as much as we can for the rest of the break. If they're outside skiing or ice skating, we're inside drinking hot chocolate or talking and vise versa.

Even as Christmas arrives, we just exchange our gifts and move on, barely making any time to chat.

Instead, Jungkook and I go into the city to watch the Christmas tree get lit up. We heard it's this grand event that starts around the time the sun goes down and a whole bunch of people go to see it.

So we get our coats and shoes on before heading out. Once we arrive and walk around the beautifully decorated and snowy park, we make it to the center to see the tree.

It's gigantic with big ornaments hung on the long branches, sparkly tinsel wrapped around it, countless strings of unlit lights strung about it, and then the huge golden star on top that's also waiting to light up.

"Woah..." Is all I can say at the magnificent tree. I stare up at it so long that my neck starts to ache and Jungkook's does, too.

"People are crowding around now," he points out, "Look, I think there's the choir."

I peer over and a group of people dressed in formal attire while holding lightless candles are standing at the end of the path to the tree.

More people crowd in by the second and Jungkook and I are eventually pushed quite a bit left of where we were originally standing, but we still have one of the nicest views considering we're in the front.

The chatter gets louder and louder around us while the sky gets darker and soon it's dark out with the only lights being from the streets.

The crowd suddenly goes quiet and Jungkook and I look in the direction everyone else is. We hear hums in a mellow tune and see the choir slowly making their way up to the tree with candles lit in their hands.

The crowd clears the path for them and I'm pushed into Jungkook. "Sorry," I whisper and he holds my hand in response.

The choir gets to the Christmas tree and everyone goes quiet as the choir director steps in front of them.

The begin to sing a beautiful version of Little Drummer Boy and the crowd sways with the amazing harmony, listening to their voices that sound absolutely astonishing.

The next song is Silent Night and I lean into Jungkook's chest, smiling gently as we sway slowly to their perfect melody. He holds his arms around my waist loosely and rests his chin on my head.

Next thing that happens is they transition to a different song and the lights of the tree turn on, illuminating the park and everyone around us beautifully with a warm glow. The lights twinkle and I look up at the mesmerizing sight, taking in how amazing it looks.

The crowd claps and cheers after seeing the star on top light up a bright gold. People start to move around and Jungkook is bumped into hard enough that he lets me go and I stumble.

But I hit a small patch of ice and end up smacking into a small box on the ground...... Which supplies the electricity for the Christmas tree.

All of the lights on the magnificent tree go out and I turn quickly to try and plug it all back in before the crowd gets too riled up.

The choir stops, and the loud gasps and groans of the people around are most definitely confused and have no idea it was me, but Jungkook does.

Panicking, I grab the cord and try to plug it into the box again but it's too dark to see. Jungkook pulls out his phone and illuminates the box with his screen, "Hurry," I can tell he's trying hard not to laugh.