Chapter 45

Explain? All the while I've been running towards my apartment, my hair a mess, my clothes not really belonging to me because they're Chandler's, and I'm imperfectly flopping around in some of his large black sandals, that I nearly trip when I round the corner to see my flat where Joan and I have been staying all this time.

               My lungs hurt, my legs ache, and I'm not prepared for whatever it is I should be knowledgeable of. Most of all my stomach is still in knots and I'm just anxious to figure out the problem that my mom has with me so I can figure out if it's something to be nervous about.

               All the while, walking across the road, careful there are no cars coming either way, I'm starting to wonder if Joan told them anything. Like, maybe me and Aunt Vera talking again when I was forbidden to go near her.

               Oh gosh. In the past I'd say Joan's not that kind of woman, but now, I can't even decide what to think when it comes to her. I don't really want to think about it.

               "Miss Brooks!" I catch an unfamiliar voice, only recognizing it when I see the face it belongs to. My landlord Mr. Hardcastle.

               "Sir?"

               "Gracious child. I thought you'd been kidnapped. Another night and I was going to call the authorities." He walks over to me before I can slide inside. "There are some people looking for you. A man and a woman."

               He's warning me. I wish it would've helped too.

               "Yes. They're my parents. They've been waiting for me so...I should go up." I smile, making my apologies in case he thinks I'm being rude before looking at Joan's closed door, wondering if she's in my place along with them.

               Wondering if dad and her have spoken yet...

               What mom has done about the situation...

               Everything...I just want to know what's going on.

               3 seconds of climbing the wide stairs and fumbling with my keys has me in my apartment, my mom immediately catching my gaze. It'd be hard to miss her. She's walking back and forth like a caged tiger, her venom filled eyes darting to mine and I see my father just sitting quiet at one of my sofas.

               "Raven." He gets up, his brown hair shifting a bit even though it's brushed neatly back when he moves to approach me.

               He's going to hug me?

               I-I...

               On instinct, he's my dad, I'd want him to...I haven't seen him in a while, but, there's something blocking my affection and happiness right now that I can only describe as disappointment or uneasiness. It's too late though. Thinking about Chandler, he would've tugged me to his side or hidden me behind his back, spit out a word or two of come-uppance, and taken care of me emotionally while glaring at my mom and who knows what else.

               But, Chandler's not here, he's off somewhere doing something Stacy probably ordered him to do concerning another interview, and I can't stop my father from holding me, his cologne the same from when I was 9, wrapping around me just like his arms, and for a brief second, I allow myself to enjoy it...

               I'm still thinking about it though. My eyes trailing up to my mom's when she's waiting for us to give her some attention.