Chapter 21: Mission

*N/n POV*

Xion sat next to me, as I stood with one foot on the edge of the building. I used the raised knee to relax my arm on, propping my body up as I watched the street below.

"..."

The silence is beginning to kill me.

With Axel or Roxas, sure the talking and noise and joking was annoying sometimes, but at least it was there. Something to cut through the silence, at least.

With Xion, there was nothing. This girl needs to come out of her shell, or I'm gonna assume she's a robot.

Maybe that's Xemnas' next plan?

"So Xion," I broke the silence, not turning my gaze from the dusty street below, "What'd you like to do?"

"..." The silence again, "W-what?"

"What do you like to do?" I repeated, making sure to enunciate, "You know, for fun?"

"Oh umm, of course..." She stuttered, hiding her face under her hood, "I-I like... ice cream. And hanging out at the clock tower."

"Glad you do," I voiced, "Cause you're gonna be joining us a lot more often."

"Huh?"

"Axel, Roxas, and I meet up at the tower because we're all friends," I explained, "See as how you've become a quick friend of theirs, we need to get to know each other a little bit."

"W-w-what?"

"Oh mother of Kingdom Hearts," I groaned, "Listen kid, we're gonna become friends, so you need to grow a spine. Or courage. Whatever it is, just be real. I'd prefer you real over whatever fake facade you put on because I'm your superior, aye?"

"...Understood."

I sighed.

"Good enough."

There was movement down on the street. Slight, but I could recognize it in an instant. Comes with experience.

"Target's on the move," I said, "I plan on keeping close and out of sight. Try to keep up."

I stepped back, before running to the edge of the roof. Using the ledge to gain a little extra height, I leapt into the air and flipped onto the next building. I heard Xion's footsteps behind me, but didn't stop as I kept my eyes on my target.

The target ran through the city, ducking through alleys and staying out of direct light. It was smarter than the others, but not too much.

I stopped behind a small building that was placed on another building's roof. In the shadows I hid, as Xion caught up with me. She huffed and puffed with labored breathing, nearly falling over until I pushed her against the wall.

"Shhh," I ordered, "It's about to be..."

The creature came out into the light of the street, revealing itself to be a Heartless hidden under a cloak. It was humanoid to be sure, a bizarre type of Heartless that I had only begun to see pop up recently.

 It was humanoid to be sure, a bizarre type of Heartless that I had only begun to see pop up recently

"...Showtime."

I leapt down from the building, landing in front of it and getting its attention. It turned towards me, brandishing its claws and letting out a horrid shriek.

"Come on big guy!" I taunted, putting my fists up as if to fight, "Want some a this!?"

It charged at me, a claw slicing through the air as it did. I quickly ducked out of the way, moving to the side and allowing it to stumble as it swung and missed. I slammed a fist into its chest, doing little damage. This was fine, I just wanted to piss it off.

It swung at me again, this time doubling its attack in fury. I repeatedly dodged its attack, back flipping out of the way and allowing it to slice at nothing. It was beginning to get angry, and I could tell. Its shrieks were angrier, fiercer. Its attacks even came with more ferocity and fury than before.

"Alright," I said, stretching my arms, "Time to get serious."

With a flick of my wrist, my keyblade appeared in my hand.

"No more games

"No more games."