Chapter 39: The Tower

*Sora POV*

All I could see was darkness.

My eyes were still closed, but I could feel something solid underneath me. There was a light, musical hum that reverberated through the air, coming from somewhere to my right. It was a nostalgic tune, something that I knew I had heard before.

I slowly opened my eyes, my blurry vision only allowing me to see the form of someone sitting at the open window. They were sitting lazily, one leg hanging off the ledge and one leg propped up against the wall.

I blinked twice, allowing my vision to clear. At once, the person came into focus, and I could barely believe what I was looking at.

"Good morning sunshine," Y/n said lazily, strumming his ukulele lightly, "You've been out for two days now."

"Y-Y/n?" I asked groggily, "Is it really you?"

*Y/n POV*

"Yes Sora," I chuckled, "It really i-"

I couldn't get the rest of my sentence out, as I was immediately cut off by Sora's arms around me. She was gripping me tightly, and I could feel tears dropping onto my shoulder.

"I-I thought I'd never see you again," She sobbed, "I..."

"I know, I know," I comforted, "But I'm here now. There's nothing to worry about."

It took a few minutes, but Sora eventually stopped crying and released me from her death grip. As she looked up at me with a smile, I could see a few more tears poking at the corners of her eyes. I reached up and wiped them away, seeing Sora's bright blue eyes shining beautifully.

"Come on," I directed her towards the door, "Everyone's waiting for you."

I held her hand as we walked into the main room, where Riku, Kairi, Lea, Goofy, Donald, Mickey, and Master Yen Sid were waiting. As soon as Riku and Kairi saw us, I could see a smirk on both of their faces and Sora released my hand immediately.

Both of the girls walked over towards me, Kairi wrapping me in a tight hug and Riku giving me a fist bump. Lea was giving me a sideways glance, he hadn't spoken to me much since I got back.

"Sora," The old man said, "It is good to see you awake."

"Thank you, Master Yen Sid," Sora responded, "What's happened?"

"It would appear that you failed your Mark of Mastery Exam," He replied, "Not only that, but Xehanort has made a return."

"I have a question," I interrupted, "Who in the hell is Xehanort?"

"Xehanort is a keyblade master who turned to the darkness," Mickey answered, "He was responsible for the creation of the chi-blade and for the death of Keyblade Master Fira. His ultimate goal was to plunge all worlds into darkness using Kingdom Hearts."

My hearts sunk into my stomach, "I understand."

"No allow me to ask a question of you," Yen Sid asked, "Why do you carry Fira's keyblade? My student has been gone for over a decade."

"Fira was your student?" I asked, to which he replied with a nod, "Fira and I met back at the islands when I was four. The island was under attack by a swarm of monsters, and she was losing the fight."

I could tell Sora and Riku were looking at me incredulously.

"I don't remember quite what happened. I just remember I grabbed her keyblade, and the next thing I could remember the monsters were dead," I explained, reliving the memory in my mind, "I could've sworn there was someone else there that night, but I can't tell you what they were after. I just remember waking up on the beach that morning and she was gone. I never saw her again."

"So, you're the one she was talking about," Yen Sid answered after a moment of contemplation, "She told me that she wanted to take on a student of her own, and I assume she was talking about you."

"So," Riku said, "What's the plan now? We have to fight back."

"Well put Master Riku," Yen Sid replied, "For now, Sora must continue to work at unlocking the power of waking. Lea and Kairi will continue training under Merlin. As for You and King Mickey, you shall be traveling back into the realm of darkness, in order to find someone."

"Someone in the realm of darkness?" Mickey asked, "But... that could only be one person!"

"Yes, I believe that Aqua persists in the realm. It will be your job to get down there and bring her back."

Sora opened her mouth to protest, but she was shut down quickly with a look from Yen Sid. At this point, he turned to me.

"As for you..."

"I'm sorry, but I already have my mission," I interrupted, "I have to find Fira. Along the way, I hope that I'll find some answers."

"Answers?"

"I have memories that are not my own, and those that are my own don't fit with others. I have to find out what happened, and why I feel... incomplete."

"Then I wish you good luck on your mission."

A few minutes later, as I was preparing to leave the tower, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Riku was standing there, a grin plastered on her face.

"Y/n, would you like to train with me a bit before you leave?"

"I guess I am a bit rusty," I responded, "Let's do it."