chapter 6

After getting back to the orphanage, I sat cooped up in my room until almost nightfall

After getting back to the orphanage, I sat cooped up in my room until almost nightfall. I was starting a new job tonight.

The law restricts anyone under the age of 16 to only a maximum of 3 jobs and if i want to go to college then 3 part time jobs was basically useless. I need to get my tuition for my first year and money for room and board. I am almost there though.

I'm picking up two new jobs. One's the late shift at the convenience store at the edge of town and the other's passing out fliers for a local company. they paid a lot per person who signed up for the service through fliers. So hopefully I'll be able to save up.

For some reason though, my mind kept drifting to Park Jisung. It's like I can't get my mind off of him. Just the thought of him makes my heart race. I guess that's the soulmate bond.

The sun was starting to set just as I finished my math homework for school. The time was 8:30 and my shift started at 9. I didn't want to waste money on the bus, so walking it is.

I waved bye to some of the kids in the front yard of the orphanage who were running around after their meal time.

My walk there was quiet. I cursed under my breath reminding myself to bring earbuds next time. The night was humid and soon a layer of sweat found its was to the bridge of my nose. The dark street was illuminated by the bright lights of the convenience store at the end of it. Seriously couldn't the city put some street lights up?

The bell chimed when I opened the door to the store. The boy working behind the counter looked like he was brain dead. I walked up to him, but he kept his head down.
"Excuse me, I'm new. I'm supposed to work here starting today."
"Uh sorry New, I'm supposed to wait for someone named Ahro." It sounded even more funny because his dead voice made him sound serious. His head slowly moved up from its resting position and his tired eyes looked into mine.

"Welcome to hell."