her mom doesn't like you

The dinner with Jesy and her mom was awkward and left you feeling slightly uncomfortable. You didn't quite understand why but you had this strong feeling that she doesn't like you.

You cleared your throat and excused yourself to the restroom down the hall to try to calm your nerves. It left Jesy and her mom alone to talk for a few. "Mom? What's going on? Why aren't you talking to her?" Jesy's mom sighed and tried to reach for her daughter's hand across the table but Jesy pulled away before she could.

"I don't think she's good enough for you." Jesy's heart broke at her moms' words. "I don't think she cares enough about you." She shook her head at her mom. "What? that's absurd. She does care, mom. She cares so much about me. She always checks on me and makes sure that I'm okay. If I'm anxious in the middle of the night and she's not there I call her and she always answers. It could be three in the morning and she'll still listen to me, she'll even come over sometimes. She cares about me so much. Why don't you see that?"

Jesy's mom went to speak when you walked back into the room. You'd clearly been crying. You clearly overheard their conversation. 'Y/n.." Jesy trailed off and put her hand on your thigh. "No, it's okay. I'm fine." you put your best fake smile on and tried to keep eating as though nothing happened. But you couldn't deny that your feelings were hurt.

"I'm just gonna go" you muttered when dinner was over and went out to the car. "Yeah, me too," Jesy whispered and her moms' eyes went wide. "But... I thought we were gonna watch your documentary tonight?" Jesy looked at her mom with sad eyes. She kissed her cheek and told her that she loved her before going out to the car with you to drive home.

Her documentary was airing tonight and you were all supposed to watch it together, but your feelings were hurt and you didn't wanna burden her mom by being there.

You curled up on Jesy's lap and watched closely at every moment that took place in the documentary. You'd both cry here and there. You couldn't help but wonder what her mom was gonna think when your part comes on.

It wasn't much longer when your part came on.

"I think she's the most beautiful girl in the world." You smiled and continued to talk about your girlfriend in the documentary. "I know that she doesn't always feel it but I think she's perfect just the way she is. I'll always tell her that but she doesn't always believe me. I hope one day she will. It's not easy seeing her so hurt and so anxious sometimes, but I'd never turn away from her. She's the strongest girl I know and I care so much about her. I'd do anything for her. Anything."

Jesy looked down at you and smiled, pulling your attention away from the tv. "I love you so much. What'd I do to deserve you, hmm?" You grinned at her as she brushed her lips against yours. She didn't pull away, instead, she deepened the kiss. But a knock at the door forced you to stop.

Jesy sighed and got up from the couch to answer the door. Her mom stood there with tears falling from her eyes. "Mom?" "Is y/n here?" you got up from the couch when you heard your name and when her mom saw you, she pushed by Jesy and ran to you to pull you in for a huge hug.

"Oh, honey. I'm so sorry I misjudged you. You do care about her. I know that now. Thank you for loving my girl so much." You smiled and hugged her back. "You're welcome." She pulled away and grinned at you. "Welcome to the family," she said and waved Jesy over making her laugh.

She pulled you both in for a hug and knew then that her daughter had found the one. She knew you cared more than you'd ever be able to describe, and she knew that you and Jesy were meant to be.