Chapter 31 - Onward To Salvation

Start from the beginning

"What if we don't?" Ji-ae asked.

"Just keep on," Sylvester said with a smirk, Ji-ae grimaced in response. "And if we don't keep that?

"Just keep on." Ji-ae leaned closer. "Now listen up here you-"

"Just keep on." 

"Just what the hell, asshole?! How can you expect us to believe that uttering such simple words would even make something worth out of this?! Like, is your throat-"

"In every moment of ourselves, we took the worst hits we could imagine in any form, either through weather, the environment, the animals, weapons, experiments, and the sort. But let me ask you, for all that destructiveness and, perhaps, the wickedness behind them, the fact that you and you and you and you and you and especially you, are over here listening to me speaking in the flesh to hear about what you need to know about this makes it clear. Just keep on."

Silence entered the room, with the team only looking at each other without the murmur, everything about what Sylvester said, what he stated, what he believed. Was it all part of his mystique? Or perhaps a shred of what lies inside of him? Walter sighed in response while Ji Ae, Mehdi, Celina and Berat looked back at him.

You and your bleeding heart, as if we need those at all.

Our survival was possible all thanks to that? Can't say I disagree, honestly.

Okay, Mr Rousseau. 

That's a good reason why we follow you, my colonel. 

After some contemplation over his words, Walter stepped and looked at him, now looking at him while he rolls his neck and sighed. 

"With all due respect, Sylvester, we lost a handful of the best already. But if anything else, you can count on more to come if that's what you believe."

"Whatever it may be, the notion is one not to be underestimated," Sylvester replied. Walter scoffs in response while looking at his team.

"In any case, until the next life?"

"And the next ones after that? You're damn right I'll see it. Now move it out, it's time for your time, people." Walter smiled as he turned around to wave his hand at the pilot, who by his signal started to ignite the rotors of the Osprey. Right when they reached the maximum speed to lift off, Walter exchanged glances with Sylvester one more time before the door closed down and the Osprey flew away towards San Diego in order to accomplish the mission. 

Sylvester only looked at the vehicle flying away at a long distance, all while he slightly smiled at it, yet he slowly nodded at it. 

"Godspeed to us all..."

Present time

"Hey Sly," Jackson says as he looks at Sylvester who was staring in blank space of the Chrome Copter. He does not answer his call until he turns around twice and stutters a bit in what to say. 

"Oh...yes Jack?"

"You alright, man? It seemed like there was something going on inside of you. Or I'm just overthinking a whole lot."

"No, you're right...It was back before they left."

"Oh yeah. Something that ringed your mind?" he asks while he holds one of the M4 rifles in his shoulder.

"What Valy said. Something about never underestimating the unknown, that I thought that's what I was doing with Amira."

"That Valy, she sure knows her cryptic responses," he quips.