Chapter 46 - Breakdown

September 9th, 2026. 13:50

A large bar near the eastern entrance of the base, filled with soldiers hanging out with each other, others having their own chit-chats over the recent events in the last few days. The room is filled with laughter, boasting, and good feeling in many ways, even when playing pool and watching the television. Even from these long days, they still have the time to free their thoughts away from the booming crashes or piercing blasts near their ears. By now, their only thoughts are of battle, victory, and even a presence beyond the Zlocu. Jackson and Lucy stand around the bar's counter, holding some glasses of Jack Daniels and Whisky, taking their own shots while chuckling for a bit.

"Oh boy, we've ne'er thocht we'd see happiness loch in ages," Lucy says. "What say you?"

Jackson takes another sip of his drink, then continues, "Well, I'm glad that everyone is doing well, and that they're finally able to relax. But it's all just temporary. After all, the Zlocu can prepare for the next battle just as us. We're gonna fight like hell if they try something."

Lucy nods, smiling. "Aye, ye're right there!"

Suddenly, a familiar man with a blue body vest approaches him while holding a blue soda bottle in his left hand. Su Hyon himself chuckles at this as leans near them.

"Always betting for a bigger challenge, I see?" he asks.

"Hey, I'm always up for the fun. How are things going, Su?" Jackson asks.

"Well, I'm just here to grab some drinks and chitchat with the good people, but you seem to catch some interest," he replies. "I'm glad to hear that your team is doing well. I heard you're still waiting for some new assignment, right? Have you heard from the others?"

"They're all doing well. The others are probably stuck in their own squad, and the younger ones are probably getting some rest," Jackson answers, then takes another sip of his drink.

"By th' way, it's been some days since we've met. Can ye teel us a bit of you, lad?" Lucy asks.

Su chuckles at this. "Sure, I guess. I'm from another world after all, just like you two. What do you want to know?"

"Well, I guess...which city were you from?" Jackson asks.

"Ah, good ol' San Diego, California. I miss it a lot, too," he answers.

"Aye, I hear it's a verra' big city."

"It is, but don't worry, my family is used to moving a lot, all the way from Korea even. And let me tell ya, nothing is way harder than raising a child alone. My wife passed away on childbirth, and I had to raise our daughter on my own. It wasn't easy, but she's growing into a fine woman now," Su says.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Su. Also, do you still have contact with her?"

"Well, let's say she's kinda busy with her stuff, and daddy knows well when to fight to get things and go back to her. You know...the usual stuff like we do in those wars."

"Hmm, ye sure?" Lucy asks.

"I'm sure, Lucy. Don't worry about it. And yeah, we had fights, but nothing that I can't handle. Oh, and if you're wondering about my daughter, I'll tell you some other time. It's a long story," he says. "A very long story."

"Well if you insist." Jackson takes another sip while observing him. "Also, have you thought of bringing a gift?"

"It's a good secret, only for the proudest Su to know and no one else, and you know it! Well, if I think I can really trust you with it."

"Yeah yeah, whatever, let's not talk about that anymair. Jist keep an eye out for gifts from us," Lucy says, then puts down her glass and looks at Jackson. "Ain't that right, Jackie?"