Chapter 137 - One Nation Underground

Around the same time. Unknown location. 

What... is this? Where am I...? Standing amid one black void, a disembodied figure shrouded in a dark aura from head to toe walks around the place in search of something that can look alive to see and interact with. Yet no matter what kind of step they take, the force of the footsteps, and any sort of sound that can be detected, it all remains the same as it can be like any other void in existence. 

Cold. 

Empty. 

Full of despair. 

Not a single ounce of what can be considered a life form can be found there. 

But as they lay another step into the seemingly endless dark void, the landscape suddenly shifts into one where it's now the view of Los Angeles, one engulfed in flames in every corner while the shapes of Zlocan ships fly up above, both casting shadows that envelop the once vibrant into a den of terror and cruelty. 

The figure's shroud vanishes in the zone of the eyes, showing a familiar set of brown eyes, all widening and staring at the wide inferno around them as the flames dance in every corner with seemingly no way out. 

No! Not this, not any of this! Logan's eyes get puffy the more the flames expand. Then, the scenery of the burning skyline changes into a line of ethereal and static figures, still surrounded by flames. Many are ones of civilians in the Evolving Zones that perished, the mutated subjects in the Manger, a handful of soldiers and rebels that fought alongside them, and so forth. 

All figures of someone who yearns for the salvation of everybody, yet the ones in front of him are enough to make tears fall from his eyes. 

They are none other than his parents, Su Hyon and Amira, all trying to reach out to Logan, but as they do so, all except Logan crumble away like the ashes of a bygone era, leaving only the dusty remains aside as Logan's mouth forms while reaching out to them. 

"No! Don't go, please! I still can..." Yet it's no use, as they have all vanished away from Logan's mind. 

Then, the landscape shifts once more, still in flames but now there's the sight of living and moving civilians, all of which spot Logan in front of them, then a handful of them after staring at Logan for a while trembling, shriek and scream at him before turning back and sprinting away from him. 

"Don't come any closer, murderer!" a female civilian says as she runs away, breathing heavily with the rest following suit. 

"It's a demon,  somebody help us, please!" a male adds while more of the civilians vanish into the flames while Logan tries to implore back at them, a way to show that he isn't anything of those things, but his sounds turn muffled, leaving Logan alone and feared as they run away from him. 

Not you too... Please listen to me... Finally, just as Logan tries to catch them, a peculiar hurls their fists into Logan's back, making him yell as he falls over. He tries to stand up, yet he gets stomped even more by the boot of the peculiar figure, each stomp intensifying even more than ever. His mouth falls open as he swallows hard, hitching his chest before the figure grabs Logan through the neck to face the one who attacked him. 

Being none other than Rita, her eyes protrude with a frown that barely suppresses her clenching teeth over what she sees in Logan. 

"Over and over... you have done nothing but make everything worse...! Our comrades... Jules... My dad... They're all gone... dead... because of your recklessness! Your foolishness! That's why I won't stop... until you're six feet under as well!" Rita's apparition says before she delivers another blow right in Logan's tearful face, one where even when his mouth has no sound, can spell something clearly to Rita despite the ordeal.