Chapter 45 - Evolve. Embrace. Exterminate.

September 8th, 2026. 19:45

Outside Mojave City, near the tri-state road between Arizona, Nevada and California, there is a large house in the wilderness. Outside, it has a well-maintained garden, a swimming pool and a hot tub. The structures have gray concrete, the design being a mix of retro-futuristic memorabilia with 50s signs peppered near the windows, with a statue of classic flying saucers placed near the garden, as well as wax figures of classical movie archetypes near the parking lot. Some armed men patrol inside the house and parts of the garden too.

Rioso, Mora, and three Zlocan knights sneak nearby, as they observe each corner of the place and what it maintains. There are many security cameras, motion detectors, and sensors around the property. 

Using a radar device, the male knight points behind the courtyard. They enter from the back, where they find a large gate with an old-fashioned lock.

"This is going to be troublesome," Rioso mumbles.

"But we can do it," Mora replies. "We can get across."

The knight nods. "Let us hope they're in a forgiving mood, otherwise, it will not be a pleasant hangover for these people." 

After checking that the coast is clear with the radar, the five Zlocans open a small door on the other side of the gate. A set of stairs leads up in a room upstairs. Inside, they find a room filled with monitors, consoles and computers, with two doors at the far end of the room. One door is opened by one of the knights, revealing a bathroom, and the other is opened by another knight, revealing a bedroom.

Inside, the house is decorated with modern amenities, with rooms being over-the-top luxurious, with black leather furniture and all the entertainment equipment a human could ask for. All of this makes Rioso wide-eyed as he looks in all directions at the decorations in place while Mora holds him.

"Whoever designed this house must be a cool guy!" Rioso says.

Mora laughs. "I bet he was! And he had a good taste in movies too."

Rioso nods. "Yeah, I think so. This place is amazing."

"You two cut it, remember that we're here for Allison Byrne and Martin Rodriguez, we couldn't care less of what you think of this place, focus on the mission first," a male Knight says.

A female Knight nods. "Right, let's keep looking for them."

The other two Knights who opened the bathroom and bedroom doors motion the rest to follow, as they proceed down the stairs.

Downstairs, they enter a library. There are many bookshelves with various books, comic books, guides, etc.

"This is one of the strangest libraries I've seen. I'm thinking of whatever tastes Humans have these days," Rioso comments.

Mora nods. "It's like a film geek's dream library, there are so many books here, and they're all categorized."

"I hope those aren't real film props," Rioso says, eying the shelves. "I'd hate for them to be damaged by us."

"Don't worry, they're not real props," Mora reassures him as she scans some devices to the bookshelves, showing a distinct appearance in real appearance or not. "They're just decorations."

"Thank goodness," Rioso replies. But then, a tan-skinned guard approaches the group and raises his rifle at them.

"Hey! What are you Zlocs doing here?"

"Just lookin' for some fellows called Allison and Martin', you know, these so called super stars even though they don't like ones," Rioso answers without missing a beat while still keeping his stance in check.