Chapter 54 - From the Inside...

5 years ago

June 9th. 11:00

In a wide park near a high school, the students were on their usual leisure and activities. A few were playing basketball, some were hanging out in the grass with books on their laps. Others just sat around waiting to see what would happen next from the soccer and baseball teams that had come to visit. It was another time when the students took their time off from all the numbers and names they heard in classes in favor of an environment with enough room to breathe and play anything they liked.

A black-haired boy was sitting by the pond with her knees pulled up close. He was taking photos of some of the fishes spotted on the shore. They were about five meters away from where he sat. He had a yellow part near his right, likely for one born by parents of different hair colors.  It went normally as some of the fish swam deeper into the pond. He didn't seem very bothered by it though; he continued taking pictures with his camera, occasionally glancing at the fishes swimming near him or even his own reflection if he turned his head enough.

Then, there were four other people standing near him at the moment. Two males, and two females. Three were tan-skinned and another had a lighter skin tone. They loomed over the boy as he took one last picture before putting the phone back in his pocket. As he turned to face them, the taller male with his arms closed leaned near him.

"What's wrong? Forgot your fishing net?" he said.

"No," the boy responded with a noticeable frown. "What do you want?"

"A fishing net to catch fish that stay on land with us. You know, for food?" another of the males said as he lifted his arms like he planned on catching a fish from the pond.

"I said no already. I was just interested in taking photos of them and that's it." the boy then grabbed his backpack while walking back to the basketball court. The group then followed him with almost the same pace as he walked.

"Taking photos of fish in a time like this? You must be so bored to be away from your Xbox back at home," a female said.

"Or maybe a PlayStation!" a shorter male asked as he chuckled. The others only smirked in response.

"I don't know why you're so interested in what I do at home." The boy kept his hands occupied with his backpack. "All you do is hang out together and talk about stuff that doesn't interest me."

"It sounds interesting to you!" the first male laughed again while elbowing his other female friend.

"Yeah! I think it does! Just wait until we have our first tournament at college! That'll show you!" she replied.

"Yeah right. Like your shitty team will ever be good at that," the boy said, but as he continued walking, the tall one grabbed by his arm, giving a sneering look on his face. This made the boy turn around to see who grabbed him.

"W-what are you doing? Why are you so mad?" the boy asked with a quivering tone.

"I can tolerate other people from my kind to bad-mouth whatever quality I have, don't get me wrong. But what really grinds my gears is when someone from the likes of you bad-mouths me for no reason at all. You're just as annoying as those of your type."

The boy only scoffed with a sarcastic tone in his voice. The tall guy snickered after hearing how the boy called him out.

"Look at you, a simpleton who has nothing better to do except to piss people off." The tall man then twisted the arm harder, the boy winced in response.

"Oh, so now we're reaching this point? That you can use your privilege to look down at me and not think I was born in this country because I don't have your skin color?!"