Chapter 34 - Soldiers of (Mis)fortune

August 31st, 2026. 23:00

The night is as dim as a river in the ocean, naked to the common eye. Only a few with the power to have it can see what is located beyond after years of exploration in the vast sea of darkness. Days have passed, as more people hear the cheering from outside of each victory taken by the UEF, but so are coffins with wrapped flags around them. Few bear that responsibility as commanding officers like Sylvester. Sitting on his desk, the lights in his room are the only spots of light that are seen in the vicinity as he adjusts his watch. 

It's almost time, are they taking some sweet time or something?

He then hears two knocks from the door, as Sylvester glances at it and presses a button near his desk connected to a microphone.

"Colonel Sylvester Walker speaking."

"Mr. Walker, I think you already know who you should answer to in the door," a voice says.

Sylvester stands up, making his way towards the door, which opens. Two men step into the room, one is a balding man wearing black combat boots; beige-colored fatigue pants; a green fatigue shirt. On the back of his uniform is the emblem of fused creatures with the words Химера imprinted, meaning Chimera. The other man has short hair and eyes that glow as bright as the moon itself in spite of his rugged face. He wears a black jacket, white dress shirt and dark blue slacks with a gold stripe and silver star insignia.

"Brigadier General Clemons, you took your sweet time after all. I would assume that he's the guest of today?" Sylvester asks, glancing towards the bald man.

"It's Major Isaak Lapidus at our service, American," the man retorts.

"Major, please don't call me just an American. You're the guest of the house today, you should address me as Sylvester or Colonel Walker," Sylvester replies. "What do you need?"

"I am here because of a request from the Commander in Chief himself, Colonel Walker," Isaak states.

"Hans, of course."

"Still acting as the loyal lapdog of him I presume, not that I care for that anyway," Clemons snidely replies as he enters the room with Isaak, Sylvester only sighs as he escorts them inside.

"So, it's about the recent deployment of Chimera here I presume, getting all the manpower needed in this war, combining some weapons and technology, all that jazz."

"Of course, it's a creed of every mercenary organization in the world that one of their jobs is to assist the country in their military endeavors. With the advantage of not taking the burden of fighting for a country right in your feeble heart," Isaak coldly replies.

"Well, let's get down to it then, Major," Sylvester says as he sits in his chair at the center of the room.

"Any mishap lately, I presume?" Clemons asks as he raises an eyebrow

"...Yes, considerably." His tone of voice contains reverence when he speaks as if he does not want to lie to another living being. His hands are intertwined and clasped together as if still holding the weapons of war that he did in the battle just a few days ago. 

"Guess not all of them had the guts to prevail after all. Such a shame for this idea of yours," Clemens says.

"They were pushed back by the enemy, they were trying their best," Sylvester calmly replies.

"Not to me, it isn't."

Sylvester cocks his head towards Clemons as he dries washes his hands away from him.

"That's great news, I'm glad to hear that, because that one of the heads being sent home is surely a worthy prize of a soldier," Isaak says as he tilts his head away from Sylvester. Sylvester's expression remains unruffled as he glances at Clemons and then his own words seem to make sense to him.