Chapter 49 - Out with a Bang

The teams can see a few silhouettes in the desert, both on the ground and in the air, just a couple of kilometers from the base. Some have the distinct shapes of bipedal mechas that most Zlocans pilot for dominating the ground, as well as some hover tanks, with their sleek, boxy design, and long-range barrels that are more powerful and larger than the ones from the Second World War.  Others look like aircraft, flying over the desert, or hovering above it, while others look like smaller mechs, much like the first one. Machines befitting the Zlocan efforts in their conquests across the galaxy, and even in such a state of slowing down progress, their sight can provide a handful of unease for many.

They already lost a big team from an ambush, no way they would let themselves to lose to another one.

"Of all the times to start an ambush... I thought we were done being ambushed out of nowhere," Seiner grumbles, checking his long-range radar as it spots the many tens of blips it appears in their direction.  

"We don't even have that many goodie good troops either!" Tany replies, holding her staff as she anticipates the incoming barrage of Zlocan machinery.  Rian only scoffs as he walks near their spot while unsheathing his light blade.

"You can say for sure that the higher-ups really want some extra for this," he quips.

Sylvester sighs, taking out his comm while plugging it into his ear. "Coruja, looks like we need a little defensive maneuvering if it means we're getting out of here alive."

"Roger that, Sylvester. We'll send our flyboys to deal with the birds of prey. I'm the angel by your side after all," Luana replies with a smirky tone.

"Hope you can save some for me, cause this is way out of line," Rian says as he ignites his red light blade, with the stance he used during his practice with Logan.

Eddie takes out his pistol, aiming at the nearest troops. "I hope you fellas know what you're doing."

"We always know, Ed. It's our specialty," Malak says as she unsheathes her sword. The four Crusaders also fly overhead in the direction of the spaceships heading in their direction. Even with so little, they can still try as much to hold the line from the base. Isaak and his soldiers head near the Chrome chopper as they watch for any potential threats in the most unexpected way.

But before they enter the chopper, they notice that some objects in the sky are seen, dropping fast as Seiner observes from afar. 

"Son of a..." Isaak mutters while Seiner deploys some shields from his chrome cubes, as they activate showing energy-style shields that surround the perimeter in a circle. The objects turn out to be the dropships, all impacting the ground below without mercy, as the cracks and debris flying show.

Seiner turns back to his teammates. "We need to get ready, mates. This might take a while."

Everyone nods, readying their weapons and forming a perimeter as they see the doors of the dropship being kicked open, showing many Knights with all sorts of weaponry like light blades, axes, and even some heavy rifles, pointing in their direction. Seiner smirks as he prepares something else for them.

"This is it, lads! Get set for the big one!" Seiner shouts, raising up his shield while deploying the turrets as well, with Logan, Amira leaping forward to the ones with heavy weapons. 

The battle begins, as the Zlocan forces open fire with their weapons, and the heroes retaliate with their own weapons. Seiner takes out his pistol, as he shoots at some of the Zlocans, aiming for the limbs while standing side by side with Jack and Andrei. He hits them all directly, inflicting burns or some explosive damage with the nitro canisters, but others return the favor by aiming for him.