(Heisuke Toudo) Magpie

Magpie: A bird that is known for stealing things as well as being the nickname of Asuka.

From: Hakuoki - both the anime and game

Genre: #Romance #shinsengumi #Benderbender #Orphan #Demon #Fury #Heisuke #Humour

Name: Asuka - meaning 'Tomorrow's fragrance' or 'Bird' and 'To Fly' in Japanese. This is a reflection of the title and her nickname. Magpie as a name itself means 'Idle Chattering'.

Background:

Asuka is the daughter of a demon and a human who was orphaned at a very young age after her parents were killed by other demons because of their union being seen as a taboo. Her father had been a pureblood demon which was rare even for males. The other demons in his clan are enraged that he had chosen a human woman as a wife  when they were hoping to find a pureblood female demon to have him marry. After his elopement with his human wife, the demons from his clan hunted him down and killed them both, unawares that they both had a child together that had been passed on to someone they trusted to keep them safe. Their trust was misplaced however as the people they left their daughter with licked out Asuka as soon as she became a child and she was forced to live on the streets. Knowing the dangers from an early age, she found that it was much more dangerous for her to walk around as a girl than it would be for a boy, so she took on the appearance and attitude of a little homeless boy, otherwise she runs the risk of being kiddnapped and/or forced into a brothel. She does what she needs to survive by stealing however, only takes as much as she needs and nothing more. Being a half demon, she also has more strength and stamina than other people and can last longer without food as well as having faster healing abilities, however, not as fast as a pure-blooded demon. One day, while walking through the streets of Kyoto, Asuka witnesses the Shinsengumi performing an arrest where the assailant makes a run for it in her direction. Seeing this, she sticks out her foot and trips him up before he can get away. Heisuke, who had been chasing the man, catches up and thanks Asuka for the help while his men secure the man and Asuka decides to reward herself for a good deed dome and pickpockets Heisuke before leaving.  After getting a safe enough distance away, she checks her spoils but only finds a vile of red liquid. Believing it to be some exotic drink, Asuka downs the mysterious liquid since she cant sell it knowing people would ask questions. Meanwhile, Heisuke and Harada who had also been with him during the arrest realise that he had been pickpocketed but start to panic when the only thing he had on him to steal had been the water of life and all his pockets were empty. The Shinsengumi put up a search for the beggar boy that pickpocketed Heisuke to try and her the water of life beck before it was too late and also worried that the boy had been working with the Choshu. What they aren't aware of is that the skinny boy smaller than Heisuke they're hunting down is actually a slender girl! Because of Asuka's demon heritage, the water of life wakes up this dormant side of her blood and she becomes a half fury-half demon. Her eyes turn into a mixture of gold and red whenever she changes into her demon form and her life span changes to a humans. The water of life's affects on her is way less than other furies however their are still some tell tail signs there. Asuka only believes that the drink she had taken had gone off or had turned out to be some vile medicine and doesn't notice the change right away. She is eventually captured by the Shinsengumi however they can't fid the water of life anywhere on her. After questioning her, she tells them that she drank the medicine and told them that it had gone off anyway. After hearing this, the group panicked however by the looks of her, she didn't have any symptoms like the other furies and seemed completely normal. Instead of killing her, they decided to keep her in for observation to understand how that batch of the water of life had been different of if it was her that was different. 

Blurb:

Asuka, a half demon, was orphaned when she was very young after her parents were killed by a demon because her father married a human woman. Too young to remember her parent faces, Asuka grew up oblivious to her demon heritage while learning what she had to survive.

She learned the way of the sword and dressed as a boy to protect herself, earning money whenever she could but would resort to theft when need be. While wandering around the streets of Kyoto, Asuka walks into an arrest as a criminal runs down the street towards her with two Shinsengumi captains hot in his tail.

Deciding to give them a hand, Asuka sticks out her foot and trips the criminal. While the two captains are thanking her and restraining the criminal, Asuka pickpockets one of the captains to reward herself for her good deed for the day and quickly leaves the scene before they can notice.

When she gets far enough away, Asuka checks out her loot only to find a flimsy vile with red liquid inside. Disappointed, Asuka downs the liquid believing it to be a fancy drink. 

lets just say it didn't taste good...

while coping with the aftershock of the mysterious red liquid, Asuka starts to experience strange symptoms and to top it off, there are now wanted posters up of her all around Kyoto as the Shinsengumi are hunting her down!

Suggestions:

Kazama may end up calling Asuka a 'Half-Breed' or an 'Abomination' after finding out what she is.

When Asuka changes into her demon form, she has golden red eyes, white hair that is almost a pinkie-blond and horns from her demon blood that wouldn't appear on other furies.

When Asuka is not in her demon form, she has honey-brown hair and dark amber eyes. her height is shorter than other girls because of the malnutrition 

Asuka is in possession of her fathers demon swords which she carries around with her. she had been teaching herself swordsmanship by watching other people though she gets proper training in the Shinsengumi.

At the start of the story, Asuka has short chopped hair though it grows over time.

Kazama and the other demons may want to kill her for what she is, being a half demon as well as a half fury. So unlike Chizuru, they have no need to keep her alive weather she is female or not. It would likely be that it is just Kazama that thinks this strongly however while Shiranui probably wont care either way and Amagiri might want to put her out of her mystery or would be following Kazama's orders.

As mentioned, Asuka spends most of her time dressed as a boy and at first, the Shinsengumi think that she is a boy as well however they only realise that she is a girl after they had captured her and been with them for a while. One of the reasons Chizuru's disguise was blown was because she still acted girly however, since Asuka has been acting like a boy for a while and hasn't looked after her skin or bothered about getting dirty like other girls, it's harder to tell. 

I had a different cover before which is the one below, however i changed it to the current one at the top of the page. I think I made the right choice to change it but here's the old one anyway...

 I think I made the right choice to change it but here's the old one anyway