A cling to hope

Penny and Will came from the mirage that resembled a cluster of brown trees coated in that vanished once they came closer into the view. They were keeping pace with the Robot walking on looking around the familiar rocky and barren scenery. Will ran ahead of Penny. Penny ran ahead of the Robot. Their hopes visibly soared, brightly, making a path to the scene that had smoke still drifting from it. According to the Robot's sensors, there was a dying fire pit from within the campsite.

"Wait for me!" The Robot insisted, wheeling after the two.

"Doctor Smith?" the Robot overheard from Will.

"Doctor Smith?" Penny called. "Doctor Smith?"

"What happened to his tent?" Will said, observing the bare sticks of it only remained.

"And his sleeping bag is the only thing that has remained," Penny observed.

"It's like something snatched it," Will said.

"Or attacked his campsite," Penny added.

"I wonder what kind of trouble that he has fallen into this time," Will said.

"Look!" Penny picked up a familiar dark ring. "It's Doctor Smith's ring."

"He would never part with it," Will said, then looked down. "And his swiss army knife," Will picked it up by the red handle observing that it was closed. "His pocket watch, his handkerchief," and dusted away on the ground to reveal dark pants. Will picked it up then felt along the fabric to find any signs of staining. "Robot---"

"Negative," the Robot replied. "My sensors do not detect any form of violence occurred here."

"Why would Doctor Smith tear his pants off?" Penny asked.

Will had a shrug getting up to his feet taking the belongings into his pant pocket.

"This is very unlike him," Will said, then looked over his shoulder. "Do you hear that?"

Penny looked over.

"Hear what?" Penny asked. "I hear nothing. And you, Robot?"

"The source of this noise is currently unknown," the Robot said. "What do you think it is, Will Robinson?"

Will turned away.

"Ah, nothing," Will shook his head, then walked over toward the center and knelt down drawing Penny's attention. "Is this what I think it is?"

Penny's eyes had grown big staring down at the unusual foot prints placed side by side.

"Wolf prints," Penny said.

Will looked over toward the tent.

"The werewolf," Will said, standing up. "It's real."

"Space werewolf," Penny said, visibly disturbed. "I thought we had the last of them."

"Indeed," The Robot chimed in. "Werewolves are creatures that normally lurk in dark forests praying on the unsuspecting instead of the dreary, hot forsaken desert," the Robot hooked his claws together then turned away surveying the desert. "Quite out of character for them to be in a unfriendly environment." The Robot gestured a claw upwards into the sky. "No chance of survival for them in a place as this!"

Will and Penny looked toward the Robot.

"Robot," Penny started. "since when could you synthesize Doctor Smith's voice?"

"I cannot," the Robot said, his claws slinking back into his chest. "That was your imagination."

"That werewolf isn't one of Doctor Smith's fantastic nightmares this time," Will said, shaking his head searching for Smith's boot prints as he walked around the camp site carefully avoiding the wolf prints. "Let's tell the others."