34 The Competition

"Sia", Jay said and my heart stopped beating.

"What?", Veds asked immediately with a completely confused expression.

"Yeah, Sia! Can you please bring me a glass of water? I'm very thirsty actually.", Jay said winking at me.

What? Is he really serious? My heart stopped beating for a few seconds. And this stupid is smiling at me now. I just want to kick him out right now. But I controlled myself from doing that.

I just brought him a jug of water and again went back to the kitchen counter.

"So, whom did you meet?", Veds asked again enthusiastically. Did I ever tell you she can't leave a thing in the middle? Sometimes that is good but times like these, it is annoying.

"Oh, that! -Jay said looking at me - "a friend. That's all"

"By the way, why are you here anyway?", Veds asked. I waited for him to answer that question of hers, looking anxiously at them from the kitchen counter making myself something to eat.

"I knew that you are at home and Sia is here alone, thought she must be stressing out of music practice, so just came by to help her.", he said.

"And I didn't know that you would be coming today itself.", he added silently so that she can't hear him.

"Oh", she said and gave me a look and I know what she means by that.

The next morning, by the time I woke up there was no Jay. I looked for him everywhere but couldn't find him. He must have left already. I sighed and got ready for college. There are a lot of things that I need to catch up on.

I practiced along with the crew for the music competition, attended the classes, visited the library for a few notes and submitted the assignments. A day after a break is really hectic and I got no time to call Jay or my family. It is so new and good that suddenly Jay became so important. I smiled at my own thoughts and went back to work.

Late after the day while Veds and I are having dinner she asked me about yesterday.

"So, what is that between Jay and you?", she asked.

"Nothing. All usual. Why do you ask?", I asked her. Her question startled me but I managed to act normal. A girl can try atleast.

"Don't lie Sia. I can smell something fishy when it is. So, care to explain.", she demanded to look straight into my eye.

Shit. Nothing goes unnoticed in her eyes.

"What is fishy Veds? Nothing is actually. He just said why he was here, didn't he?", I tried again. I know this lame attempt is just to kill some time so I can come up with the actual thing clearly and without hesitation.

"Then he must be coming straight to home which he didn't. And you are equally drenched as he was. That tells you two are at the same place and most probably together. And his lame excuse of meeting a friend that too in rain is too suspicious to believe.", she said folding her hands before her.

Believe me when I tell you she can make the best detective. She has those rare suspecting lies skill in her.

"Ok. We met each other at the end of the street. I don't know he was coming through. I saw him there and was surprised.", I said eating the last bite of roti we made.

"Surprise it is. And what happened then?", she asked. I have no intention of hiding anything from her. When nothing is bad and she is my best friend so I am not hiding Jay's relationship with me with her.

"We talked. A lot actually.", I am nervous about how she is going to think about us after I tell her.

"About?", she asked. I can see her excitement in her eyes.