24. The Win

Is it really happening or am I dreaming? My thoughts kept me busy that I didn't realize that there is someone behind me. I came out of my never-ending stream of thoughts when a hand turned me behind. And now I am shocked as well as annoyed.

How can I be so stupid? How did I forget that I have this very crazy troop of monkeys as friends? This is their prank to trick me and frighten me. Even though their plan failed miserably, I got anxious. I turned around but couldn't find that person now. Is that the hallucination that I saw someone just now and suddenly they have vanished?

"Hahaha", my idiots started laughing catching their stomachs. I didn't understand why they are laughing like maniacs even though their plan just was only a failure.

"What is so funny?", I asked feeling pissed. How am I going to deal with this bunch as stupids throughout my life? Argghhhh!!!!

"Your face of course", Ved said trying hard to not laugh but again failed. Why trying to stop laughing when you already know that you can't?

"Very funny. And now I have no mood to talk to anyone of you. So please let me go", I said and walked out of them. They all stopped laughing at once and called me louder. No, your tricks are not going to stop me now.

"Sia, stop na yaar"

Not anymore.

"Please yaar. Just listen to us once."

Go to hell.

"Look around Sia!" Argghh! Can't they leave me peaceful for even a few minutes?

"I am not going to fall for your tricks now", I said louder. I again started walking and hit my head hard.

"Ouch!!", I rubbed my forehead and stepped back to see what actually I ran across. It was Jay.

"What the hell!", I am furious now. How dare he? How dare he join those idiots and prank me. And now he again dashed into me.

"Just stop Sia.", he said calmly. And suddenly I am calm. But I should be angry right?

"Why? Do you have something in your mind to play with me again? But all your doings are going to fail now. I am not buying any excuses from any of you. Go and play with someone who will be easily affected by these tricks. Not me.", I shouted at him with fury.

"Calm down Angry bird. I am just confronting you. We are really sorry." He said.

"Go throw that sorry in a dustbin.", I said and turned to walk. But whom am I kidding here? He is Jayram Dixit after all. He caught my arms firmly and I am halted at the place now.

"Sorry", he said making those cute puppy eyes which can melt me. But not now. I have to be strong enough to show them that I am not going to forgive them now.

"Don't make those puppy eyes. They are not buying my forgiveness.", I said but I stayed there.

My gang is now circled me so that I couldn't escape. What are they planning? A kidnap?

"Actually.." Hah here started their explanation session now. "... I was looking for you at the party. But I couldn't find you. Then I thought you will be with the others and went to them. Shockingly you were not there too. When I asked Vedika about you, she said that you were talking to some girl the last time she saw you. I was panicked and went to Girish. He said that you have already left as you feel bored and lost interest. It was late at night and also I know you are alone walking in these secluded streets. So I came following you. In the meantime, all these people too left the party and joined me. We saw you and thought of calling you. But you didn't hear us and kept on staring in the sky.", he concluded his explanation.

"Am I staring towards the sky?", I asked. All I remember is a man who approached me and I was looking at his eyes. But not at the empty sky.

"Yes, you were. You were like in a trance and only when we turned you around you heard our voices. What are you looking at in the empty sky?", he asked.

"I don't know. Leave it", I said and "let's go home now. It is late at night now remember. And we are alone.", I mocked them for which they smiled. We walked back to our houses.

--------------------------------------------------------

Finally, the D day has come. Today they are going to reveal the winners of the competition. I am happy that I dared to participate. I may or may not be a winner in the competition, but for me, I am the winner. The winner who won her inner fears and dared to come on stage.

They announced the winners. Jay was the first in the singing competition. I am really very happy that my best friend and my best brother won in their own interests.

"Congo's Jay!!!", we shouted as soon as he descended the stage. We all are very happy that our last year school ended at its best. We shared a group hug and jumped out of joy. True friendship is that which celebrates our friends' success and supports in friends failures.

The day ended with many colors and celebrations. We all reached our houses. Jay came along with me and Garry. His house is a yard past us. He has to cross our's to reach his.

He waited outside the gate and lingered there for a few minutes. He never did that anytime before. There is something eating him that he wants to share with me. How did I know? I am Sia, his best friend after all. I know things.

"So, what is the matter Jay", I asked him standing near the gate. He looked at me with big eyes shocked.

"Nothing Sia. Actually...", he dragged. Hah, I know that some matter was there.

"Ha. Actually what Jay. You know that you can tell me anything right?", I asked placing a hand on his shoulders.

"I know that but I want to ask you something."

"I am all ears. Ask me fast."

"Aren't you hurt that you didn't win the competition?", he hesitated. And I am shocked. Why will I be hurt or unhappy? After all, my best friend won it. A true talent won the competition.

"Is that all you wanted to ask? No Jay, I am not hurt. I am happy instead. Very happy. I won it anyways didn't I? I won my fear. It's my first win. And my best friend won the competition. It's my second win", I smiled saying "I won the same competition twice Jay. I am the winner now."

He smiled after hearing my words. "I thought that you were hurt and... "

"O shut up Jay. Your win is my win too. You are my best friend Jay. I am very happy about that." I said sincerely. And in the next moment, I was crashed into a bone-crushing hug. "Thank you, Sia, thanks for being my best friend. You are a true friend Sia."

"Ok leave me now. I can't breathe.", I said and he left me.

"Good night Sia.", he said kissing me on my forehead and left.

"Good night Jay", I murmured while he has already left.