30: Scared and Excited

Here we go..

A month passed within no time. With college, classes and all, I became busy that I found a little time to talk with Jay. On the other hand, I missed him a lot. That look he gave me when he left to Bangalore, I still remember it. He said something through his eyes that I was unable to read. 

This month was full hectic. We were informed of the famous music fiesta that takes place every year at the college. Auditions for the singers, instrument players are announced and they are requested to perform in front of the music teacher Mrs.Mathur. She is a beautiful singer and also can play tabla. 

Vedika being the stubborn head has been forcing me to give a try at the audition. And me being 'me' am hell scared of doing that. Though I participated in the competition at the school, I am still afraid of being in the spotlight. I kept on passing her suggestions which irritated her to the core.

Vedika complained about this to Jay, Ved, and Girish. They called me and asked me to give a try which I thought I could decline. But no, who am I kidding here? They are my stubborn little heads that never leave me peacefully. What happened next? I was given endless, countless warnings that included threatening me that they would never ever talk to me and also would break their friendship with me. My brother said he would never ever face me if I wouldn't give my audition. Crazy right? Yes, that is what I am telling. Crazy heads they are.

After their endless threats, I finally made up myself to give a try. Tomorrow is the last day for the audition. I practiced my favorite song after finishing the thesis work. I was about to climb the bed and drift into my own dreamland, then my phone started calling me to attend it with the sweetest of her voice(the ringtone).

"Ughhhh", I sighed and lifted the call without even looking at the caller id.

"Hello, Sia. Been so busy lately?"

"Hii Jay, not too busy but a little.", I said. Automatically a smile found its way to my lips.

"Must have been tired after a long day?", he asked. I could sense the smile on his face and the excitement in his voice and also the tiredness he is hiding. 

"Yes, tell me about yours", I asked walking into the living room and making myself comfortable on the couch.

"Nothing much. You know na I said about the little girl who lives in our street, it's her birthday tomorrow. We fight all the time but still, I like that little doll whenever she makes those cute faces.", he said fully excited.

"So I thought of buying her a lot of chocolates as it is her birthday. But I am not gonna give her those that easily. I will tease her for some time and have my fun.", we laughed together at the last sentence.

"Don't tease her more Helmet."

"Arey yaar, you are no fun. Acha tell me this, how has your preparation gone?", he asked.

"Don't know yaar. I prepared well, but let us see what happens tomorrow.", I said slowly.

"Don't worry CutiePie. I know you are gonna rock it like last time. Just focus on what you are doing.", he said assuring me that everything is gonna be fine. I smiled at his words. I don't know what happened suddenly to him but from the last few days, he started calling me weird yet adorable names like CutiePie, HoneyPot, etc. That is a little awkward but I got used to those recently. 

"Acha. Go and take rest. Call me to inform that you are selected for the Music Fiesta. Goodnight", he said after talking about an hour about the random shit happening in our lives.

"Goodnight", I said and fell into the deep sleep.

-------------

"Okay sing a song.", said Mrs.Mathur smiling at me. I am at the music room where the auditions have been taken place.

For the next five minutes, I sang the song that I practiced. I closed my eyes while singing to feel the song, those lyrics, and the melody. I was lost in it that after five minutes I heard Mrs. Mathur smiling brightly at me telling that that was her favorite song too. She then asked where I learned music and was beyond shocked when I said that I learned it myself on my own.

"You have a very good voice Ms.Raman. Keep practicing.", she said smiling and I left the room. By the way, she talked to me now, I got the hope that I may be selected for the music fiesta. I am happy.

Later that evening, I found my name along with a few others in the noticeboard. It said that I got selected. I am more than happy that I hopped over Vedika. She is also very happy that I got selected.

"I know beta. You are talented. I am so proud of you.", said my dad when I called him in the evening to inform about my whereabouts. He sounded very happy which instantly brought a smile on my face. True happiness is when our parents are happy and proud because of us. My mom also felt so happy. I think I may not tell about the excitement of my brother, that he is the one who always supports me no matter what. This time too he is so happy and asked about the further happenings of the competition.

In the first round, we need to perform the type of music the judges wanted us to play. There will be a week time for every contestant to learn that type of music. The judges give us scores based on the performance. The next round is quarter-finals where every contestant needs to sing or play individually a song of their own choice. Eight members will be shortlisted from all and sent to the semi-finals. There everyone needs to play as a group like some vocalists and some instrumentalists combine and perform a single song. Here they check the way everyone coordinated to play the music and selects four members to the finals. In the finals, the four contestants split into two groups - two each and need to make some new music. They need to make their own song with their own lyrics and tunes. In the end, the team which gave the best music and entertains the judges along with the audience wins the competition.

After knowing these details about the process of Music Fiesta, I am scared like hell. I don't know up to which level I can reach in this competition. Vedika sensed my fear and said that I should not just back off now when I am already a part of the competition. She said, whatever happens, it is for a greater good and nothing bad is going to happen. I believed in her words and eagerly waited for the day the competition officially starts.

Anything that scares you and also excites you is the right thing that we must do or be a part of. Exactly the same is happening right now. I am both excited and scared of the competition. I wish everything will be fine and hoped for the best.

----------------------------------------------------------------