CHAPTER 20

After 10 torturous minutes, Thomas and Jorge appeared again. Thomas had a blank expression, why Jorge looked pleased. That seems like a good sign. The Cranks turned their heads and looked at their leader, awaiting the order of attack. The Gladers and Aris looked at Thomas for the order of making a run for it.

"Brenda", Jorge called and she looked at him with a hopeful expression. "Get these guys some grub".

"What?! Your actually going to help these people?!", she yelled in disapproval. I looked at Thomas and say he was glancing at Minho with a worried expression. What exactly did Thomas and Jorge plan?

"Yes, you and I are going to follow these people. They're headin' for the cure for the Flare", Jorge said while jabbing his thumb at us.

What?! Thomas promised the cure?! We don't even know if we're getting this so called cure!

"But", Jorge began, before he looked at Minho with a wide grin. "I get to chop one finger off each hand on Spike head".

Everyone stopped and stared at him with wide eyes. My breath hitched in my throat and I looked at Thomas for some sort of objection. He didn't do anything. I looked at Minho and saw he had a 'are you joking?!' look on. Newt looked at Jorge in shock, before glaring at Thomas. He shrunk back from his fierce glare.

"What the shuck?! You can't do that!", Minho yelled. "Thomas! Say somethin' man!".

"It's the catch Minho. They'll only let us go if they..... chop off two fingers...", Thomas said while looking down at the floor.

"Brenda, show 'em to the food", Jorge said before walking off, disappearing into another room in the building.

Brenda grumbled and started to lead the way to the food. Minho watched in shock as Thomas just followed after her while motioning for us to follow. Newt soon started to move, gently pulling me along with him by holding my hand tightly. I hesitantly followed, and so did the others. Minho soon huffed like a child and followed with his arms crossed.

We soon entered a small hallway with a door at the end. Brenda told us all to take a spot by the wall, so Newt and I sat down on the floor beside each other. We were on the end of everyone, so we were closest to the food 'cupboard'. Thomas sat down beside Newt and Brenda started to pace out tins of beans. They were more than enough, so we started to eat quickly. I pulled the lid off and started to bring out beans with my hand. I ate them and sighed in relief of actual food. I continued eating, until I had finished the tin.

"You want some of mine?", Newt asked while holding his tin to me. He had only eaten half of it, but he was offering the rest to me?

"No, they're yours. You should eat them", I sat while leaning my back against the wall.

"You sure?", he asked while raising an eyebrow. I nodded.

"Yes I'm sure, eat", I said while pushing the tin to his mouth. He hesitated, before finishing up the rest of the tin. Now that I knew that Newt had eaten ALL of his food, I relaxed. Seriously, he needs to start to worrying about himself.

Suddenly, a loud crash was heard and the ceiling suddenly caved in. It barely missed Brenda who was sitting beside Thomas, and separated Newt, Thomas, Brenda and I from the rest of the Gladers. We jumped back and moved away from the fallen stone ceiling, blocking off all sight of the other end of the hall.

"What the bloody hell just happened?!", Newt yelled at Brenda while jumping to his feet.

"The ceiling caved in dipshit! We need to run. Who knows how weak this part of the ceiling is", Brenda says while glancing up at the already cracking ceiling above us. I gulped and stood up, watching as the cracks grew larger.

"Come on! We have to move!", Brenda said while taking Thomas's wrist and pulling him down the hall.

"Come on Mickey!", Newt said while doing the same and running after them. I didn't respond as I followed after them, glancing back at the crumbled mess at the other end of the hall.

"Wait! What about the others?!", Thomas asked while running.

"They probably went to find Jorge and cross the Scorch to get the cure you guys keep talking 'bout", Brenda said while running into another room. We stopped outside and waited for her to come back out. When she did, she held four flashlights.

"We're gonna go the same way", she stated. "But through the Underneath".

"Underneath? What's that?", Newt asked confused. Brenda started to hand out the flashlights to us. I took mine and surprised to see this type of 'technology' with the Cranks. I thought they were just living by candle lights and fires.

"Exactly what it sounds like. It's the underground tunnels that follow through out the city. Basically like the sewers, but no water. Just lots of pipes and broken wires.....and Gone Cranks", she muttered the last part, making me nervous.

"Gone Cranks?", I repeated and she nodded with a small glare at me.

"Yes. Haven't even heard of those? Those are the crazy Cranks that have lost all human instinct and are basically animals", Brenda said while putting her hands on her hips. "Let's hope we don't run into any of 'em".

"You want us to walk through the sewer that is infested with Gone Cranks?", Newt asked in disbelief.

"Well where else are we gonna go?", she asked in a frustrated tone. Newt was silent, meaning he didn't know the answer. Brenda nodded with a knowing look. "Exactly".

She then turned on her flash light and started to lead the way again. Newt didn't follow, neither did Thomas. They both turned to each other and Thomas had a nervous expression, while Newt looked like he wanted a explanation.

"Tommy, do you really trust this chick? She seems like she bloody hates our guts", Newt said.

"I partly trust her. She seems like she knows what she's doin', so I think our only option is to follow her....", Thomas said. Newt sighed and scratched the back of his neck.

"Fine...", he said while him and Thomas started to walk. I stood where I was, and thought for a minute.

Is it that much of a good idea? I mean, Brenda doesn't seem like she wants to help us at all.... she could be leading us to the Gone Cranks for all we know...

I then heard footsteps coming from far behind me, snapping me out of my thoughts. I snapped my head around and gulped, before turning around and running after where Newt and Thomas went. I turned on my flashlight and started to search for the two, when I realised that they were no where to be found.

Ah crap! I lost them!