Mine (Part 2)

JORDAN:

I walked into the school building feeling a little uneasy. I knew it was because everyone was looking at me.

I tend to block it out, as I spotted Tameeka at her locker. I headed over to her..... but before I could make it all the way.....

"Hey Jordan", this guy named Thomas, stopped me, "I heard about that fire... good to see you're a survivor".

I first stumbled on my words, "Uh...yeah", I say awkwardly, "Thank you", I say then continued on my way to Tameeka.

Finally I reached, and now that Tameeka is aware of my approach....

"Best friend!", Tameeka Hugs me.

I giggled at her unexpected actions, but however—I embraced the hug.

"You didn't tell me you were coming today", she says exiting the hug.

"Why wouldn't I?", I asked ignoring the obvious.

Tameeka opens her mouth to say something but she stopped, and seem as if she changed her response....

"Where is your arm-thingy?", Tameeka asks looking at my wrist being free.

"I... it came off, yesterday...", I say not trying to think about the details of the incident.

"Well are you going to get another one? Is your wrist better?".

I look down at my wrist, "Yeah, it feels okay. I mean when I turn it a certain way it stings a bit—-but overall it's okay".

Tameeka just nods, and then sigh...

"Well okay. —Bathroom check?"

I nod, and reassured, "Bathroom check".

***********

In the bathroom, Tameeka and I stood in our usual mirror spots—-I listened to Tameeka gossip.

"Honestly I'm gonna be mad if it's lame, the only sleepover I went to was with all my cousins when I was little", Tameeka explains.

"Tameeka you definitely slept over my house and Vice versa", I say.

"Girls that's not a sleepover—that's just sleeping over", Tameeka inputs, "and besides we are best friends... that's basically family".

I just nod, now agreeing with Tameeka's logic.

"You sure you still want to go? You seem dull talking about it", Tameeka says, now finished with applying her lip gloss.

"Yeah. I want to still go—-how am I dull?", I ask not understanding.

Tameeka shrugs, "I don't know—- you just seem a little ehhh—- is it because of the...you know...the Fir—..."